BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Hello friends,

recently we have been getting a space issues on our unix server.

we are looking to formulate a plan to limit the space per user.

In the recent space issues,we had some users who were running very big jobs and because of that it is affecting the entire

file system on our server.there is no limit is there for any user for space.

so can we impelement this.

what are the different sas users and limiting space to the user means how much should we allocate based on their role.

please can any one through some ideas or your experience on this.

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Does the space issue relate only to SAS WORK library space or does it also include permanent SAS libraries? Please clarify.

If this is only about SAS WORK library space, then for starters there should be a limit on the total WORK space available to all users before considering individual limits. It is important that total WORK space has a limit so it doesn't impact other disk usage. 

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

The issue is related only to saswork and we do got got space issues in the past for /var /usr and other /sas file systems.

but right now we want to limit the space to the users according to their role.so how from where should i start with this.

I want to formulate a plan for this please.

when we are saying limiting space per user what are types of users will be there and for each category how much space we can allocate

please suggest me.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As a simple example this is how I would approach it:

Firstly I would allocate a limit for the total WORK space lets say 500GB (gigabyte).

Secondly if the maximum number of SAS users using SAS at the same time is 20, I would set a user limit of 25GB (500/20).

It is highly unlikely that all users will use their maximum space at the same time. But let's say 10 use the maximum so that leaves 250GB for the remaining users.

If your maximum number of users at the same time suddenly goes up to 40, then the 500GB limit on total WORK space will protect the rest of your file system from being filled up.

These numbers are not recommendations for you as I don't know what your WORK space requirements are - how much space you have, how many simultaneous users you have, what your typical WORK dataset sizes are, how much on average each user might use etc. 

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

we have 15 TB of space allocated for our sas, and our quota system has been removed.

There is no quota for our file mountings.

This is how our file system has been setup

zsasrd                                             8.94T       5.73T    21K     /zsasprd
zsasrd/sas                                      2.85T       5.73T   2.85T   /sas
zsasrd/sas-sasconfig                     30.7G       5.73T   30.7G   /sas/sasconfig
zsasrd/sas-saseg                          901G         5.73T   901G      /sas/saseg
zsasrd/sas-oracle                          5.33G       5.73T   5.33G     /sas/oracle
zsasrd/sas-home                          6.91G        5.73T   6.91G      /sas/home
zsasrd/sas-sasutil                         54.2M       6.46T   54.2M        /sas/sasutil
zsasrd/sas-saswork                      157G        6.31T   157G         /sas/saswork
zsasrd/sas-saswork-meta               60K        5.73T    60K           /sas/saswork/meta

we have 250 sas users overall,actively 100-150 users will run reporrts,most of them run reports

when we are saying limiting space per user what are types of users will be there in sas and for each category

like for eg : power users,simillary who are other type of users

sasprofile
Quartz | Level 8

Please can any one answer to the Questions I posted.

I would really appreciate for a quick response

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation