BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I have a DATETIME26.7 string and I need to get it into the format of YYYYDD (YearDay), obviously this is a pretty useless date function so I don't think anything like this exists out the box. It's not my decision to use this value and I don't know the reasoning why so please don't let it become a debate over that...

I'm doing this as an expression in DI Studio if that makes a difference.

My first idea was a substr to extract the year and the day and then catx them together but that doesn't work on numeric fields, I've tried substrn but I just get '0' no matter what I try, and catx still wouldn't work on numeric values anyway (although it claims it does).

So for an example:

Input: 19JUL2016:12:00:00.0000000

Output: 201619

This is going to also be part of a case when and I need to end up with it as a numeric value still. I think it might need the format changing to character and back again, but can this be done as part of my case when rather than through multiple extracts before/after.

This is essentailly where I'm up to (which errors)

CASE WHEN DATE_OF_EXIT ^= .  &  EXIT_NOTIFICATION_STATUS = "1"
THEN CATX("",substrn(DATE_OF_EXIT,1,4),substrn(DATE_OF_EXIT,6,2))
ELSE . END

This gives me:

"ERROR: Result of WHEN clause 2 is not the same data type as the preceding results.
ERROR: Character expression requires a character format."

Any help appreciated, thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

I can't test this right now, but it looks like you're just taking the wrong pieces.  If DATE_OF_EXIT is character and the new variable can be character:

THEN CAT(substr(DATE_OF_EXIT,6,4), substr(DATE_OF_EXIT,1,2))
ELSE . END

Notice switching to SUBSTR for a character field.  For other possibilities (incoming string is numeric, or output should be numeric), other functions can handle that:

input(results of CAT, 6.) to get a numeric output

For a numeric input and numeric output:

cats(year(datepart(DATE_OF_EXIT)), day(datepart(DATE_OF_EXIT)))

Apply INPUT to the result of CATS to get the output variable as numeric.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I think your over complicating it, simply:

date=input(scan(in_date,1,":");
format date yymmn6.;

If its a string (not seen a datetime that long, so not sure if its valid, if it is a numeric then:

date=datepart(in_date);
format date yymmn6.;
MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, that will work for the YYYYMM format I also need (but was reasonably confident about, I'll give your methods ago now.

My main issue is that I need YYYYDD, as in YearDay, which doesn't seem straight forward.

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, I hadn't seen that, unfortunately though it looks as if it does the day as a 1-365, I need the day as it appears in the month.

So 26th July 2017 would give me 201726, rather than 2016207 which I think Julian would do.

It seems like a useless data value to me without the month included, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Then you would need to do that by hand, there is no format to cover such a thing (as it makes no sense - I can understand if you wanted year and day of study for instance, but not day of an non-specific human term such as month without descriptor).  E.g

num=input(cats(put(year(datepart(date)),z4.),put(day(datepart(date)),z2.)),best.);
Astounding
PROC Star

I can't test this right now, but it looks like you're just taking the wrong pieces.  If DATE_OF_EXIT is character and the new variable can be character:

THEN CAT(substr(DATE_OF_EXIT,6,4), substr(DATE_OF_EXIT,1,2))
ELSE . END

Notice switching to SUBSTR for a character field.  For other possibilities (incoming string is numeric, or output should be numeric), other functions can handle that:

input(results of CAT, 6.) to get a numeric output

For a numeric input and numeric output:

cats(year(datepart(DATE_OF_EXIT)), day(datepart(DATE_OF_EXIT)))

Apply INPUT to the result of CATS to get the output variable as numeric.

MRDM
Obsidian | Level 7

Great stuff thanks @Astounding, it's now working, it's a numeric field so I went with the second one:

@RW9 thanks that works fine as well, I went with Astoundings option just because I understand the syntax better, rather than the best32. format and the zX that I'm not too sure about.

THEN input(cats(year(datepart(DATE_OF_EXIT)),day(datepart(DATE_OF_EXIT))),6.)
ELSE . END

Thank you both for the assistance.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation