BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
H
Pyrite | Level 9 H
Pyrite | Level 9

I am looking to pull all observations that have a particular numeric value in at least one of the listed variables. Though I do not want to have to write all of the variables out. I have tried dx1-50 and also a macro to no success. See following for examples:

proc print data=test;

where dx1-dx50 = 808.44;

var sex;

run;

or

%let vars = dx1-50;

proc print data=test;

where  &vars = 808.44;

var sex;

run;

quit;

Perhaps it needs an "or"?  I am still messing around with options but may need some help. I also believe this could be done in proc sql, but I am not experienced with that procedure.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

stat@sas , you can do it simpler by using IN operator.

data test;

set have;

array vars{*} dx1-dx50;

if 808.44 in vars ;

run;

Xia Keshan

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User

Look at the whichn function for numbers and whichc for characters.

SAS(R) 9.2 Language Reference: Dictionary, Fourth Edition.

stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi,

Just create a variable check that will be increased if any of the variables defined in the array has value 808.44. Then select observations based on check variable.

data test;
set have;
check=0;
array vars{*} dx1-dx50;
do i=1 to dim(vars);
if vars{i}=808.44 then check+1;
end;
run;

proc print data=test;
where check>0;
run;

Ksharp
Super User

stat@sas , you can do it simpler by using IN operator.

data test;

set have;

array vars{*} dx1-dx50;

if 808.44 in vars ;

run;

Xia Keshan

H
Pyrite | Level 9 H
Pyrite | Level 9

Great options. Yesterday I ended up using the option that was removed from this thread. Though, Ksharp's seems to be very concise.

Follow-up question,  Is there a good way to do this for pulling observations based on the first three digits (going left to right) of the value.  So I would like to do that exact samething but for numbers starting 958, which are actually list in the sample as 958.20, 958.3, 958.30, 958.92, etc.).

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, for one: if int(number) = 958 then ... is fine.  Not sure how this would work with KSharps solution, but stats@sas 's one should be simple implementation.

H
Pyrite | Level 9 H
Pyrite | Level 9

Ignore my last question I did it using:

array incl[60] DX1 - DX60;

do i = 1 to 60;

if incl >= 958.00 and incl < 959.00 then uncoded = 1;

end;

drop i;

Thanks for everybody's help!!!!!!!!!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Typically it is better to store diagnosis codes as character instead of numbers. They are not numbers and you might get burned by codes with leading or trailing zeros or issues with exact representation of decimal numbers in binary floating point.

Most large data providers will supply ICD9 codes as a five character code with the period removed. For Example the following list you provide above (958.20, 958.3, 958.30, 958.92,) would be stored as ( '95820' '9583 '  '95830' '95892' ) and you could actually distinguish between the second and third values.

You can use the : modifier on the IN operator to effect matching on just the beginning of the string.

data test ;

length dx1-dx5 $5. ;

input dx1-dx5 ;

array d dx:;

found= '802' in d;

found2 = '80' in: d;

put (_all_) (=);

cards;

101 802 . . .

80  . . . .

run;

H
Pyrite | Level 9 H
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for the replies Tom. I was using these diagnoses in a crosswalk, which required me to do all kinds of formatting to them. So in this particular situation I had to end-up with numer values, but I know what you mean about all of the possibilities to get "burned" by them .

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Note that the WHERE statement (or a WHERE= dataset option) is more limited than normal SAS statements.  For example you cannot use variable lists in the WHERE clause.

So while you could do:

data want ;

set test ;

if whichn(808.44, of &vars);

run;

You get a syntax error if you try the same thing with a WHERE statement instead.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation