BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fbwoinem
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

according for the documentation ti is not possible to set the libname option ENABLEDIRECTIO for the WORK library.

I wonder whether there is a good reason for this limitation.

If not, is there maybe a trick to use it anyway?

Thanks,

Frank

1 REPLY 1
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I would not do that, even if it worked.

My reasoning:

When writing through the OS cache, any subsequent read will not have to access the disk, but will read the contents of the cache, if the data are still there. Since it is quite common that the data written to WORK are read again shortly after, disabling the OS cache will have a negative impact on performance (and lead to additional disk contention in the physical volumes containing the WORK directories).

A good OS will make very good decisions which data to keep in its cache; it will also help you by deferring disk writes (speeding up virtual write performance) and by reading ahead for you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation