BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
May15
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @JBailey,

Many thanks for sharing your code.

One question, why do you say it doesn't help me? Actually, the process I mentioned works in order to make the file smaller: I've tested it. To replace the original table with the data I want, the table loader transformation in SAS DIS generates a proq sql with the CREATE TABLE AS statement and, as you also checked in your code, it saves space. The issue, as I said above, is when I have referential integrity constraints. Thus, I'd like to know what I could change in this kind of process in DIS to eliminate the errors I mentioned above. Any help will be appreciated.

@mkeintz, thanks for your point of view.

Thanks,

May15

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @May15

I meant it doesn't help with INSERTing back into the original table. For it to work the original table (really a file) must be replaced with a new version. 

In order to do this on a table with RI ,the RI must be dropped prior to the maintenance then reapplied afterward.

Best wishes,

Jeff

mkeintz
PROC Star

FWIW, here's a little script to tell you how much disk space you might recover via PROC COPY, etc..  Perhaps DIS already has this capability via some other instruction, but my familiarity is with Base SAS:

data cars;
  set sashelp.cars;
run;

data cars;
  modify cars;
  if mod(_n_,10)=3 then remove;
run;

proc sql;
  select nobs
        ,nlobs
        ,nobs-nlobs as removed_obs
        ,calculated removed_obs/nobs as proportion_removed
        ,obslen
        ,obslen * calculated removed_obs as potential_disk_savings
  from dictionary.tables
    where libname='WORK' and memname='CARS';
quit;
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Is it just me, but all this sounds a bit awkward.
First, what is the delete ratio? How often do you delete?
I usually don't come across this kind of situation when working on governed data like you seem to have with constraints and all. In my work you keep all the data, and only reason more deletions are archiving (seldom perhaps once a year, monthly at the most), or manual data patching of a misload.
If you still have step g requirements for this kind of operations Base SAS may not be the best match for storage.
Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation