BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AngusLooney
SAS Employee

As part of the UK and Ireland SAS User Group - https://www.meetup.com/SUGUKI/ - I volunteered to give talk on " Decomposition and Orchestration in DI Studio and LSF".

Posting the slides here as well in case anyone finds them useful, thought or comment provoking - or perhaps to kick off an discussion.

The main point I was hoping to make was the features provided by LSF or equivalent offerings should be viewed as an intrinsic part of the toolset, and that they promote, support and enable the adoption of fundemental approaches to how ETL processes are designed, built and operated. "Zen and the Art of DI Studio" - almost.

It's an independant user group, so the slides are my own thoughts/ideas/opinions, in no way "SAS official" or anything - hence the non-corporate typography.

Enjoy.

4 REPLIES 4
LaurieF
Barite | Level 11

That's bloody excellent. Thank you. I've come to the same, or similar, conclusion from a slightly different direction: a DI job should do one thing (have one target), and that makes it easy to put into an LSF stream. LSF can then do its magic by parallelising as much as possible, and we can all go off to the pub.

AngusLooney
SAS Employee

Absolutely. If this was useful, there are a couple of other decks (and a video) from me hereabouts on related topics, not to blow my own trumpet...

KumarT_SAS
SAS Employee

Interesting and a great process to combine the mix of data management tools. If we look at SAS Grid Manager with LSF, we are looking at a more advanced version of the scheduling process, parallelism and most importantly load balancing. Just LSF with SAS DI Studio, definitely looks lean and less complex for most of the repeatable data management jobs. 

AngusLooney
SAS Employee
Single server LSF is just the same "LSF Grid" stuff as a full grid, just on a single server.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation