BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
lrudolphi
Obsidian | Level 7

Background: I am running DataFlux Data Management Studio 2.7 on Windows 10.

My question is: How do I access a Quality Knowledge Base without running the program as an administrator? Is that even possible?

My company is rather strict on admin rights, and I'm not sure how I will be able to get the program to "work for me" without being able to see/use/access a QKB.

I've had someone with elevated access rights run the program as an administrator, and they are able to see the QKB in the program when they open it.

Any insight on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
AngusLooney
SAS Employee

Doesn't sound right that you need admin rights to use the QKB, but it could be because the QKB got installed in the \Programme files directories, and they sometimes need Admin rights to access files in?

I'd recommend using a QKB that isn't in such a location, rather having it in a "configuration" directory outside of the programme files.

lrudolphi
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the response, Angus. I have access to the directory where the QKB resides, but when I try to load it myself, I get this message (screen shot also attached): You do not have permission to perform this action. Either run Data Management Studio using the "run as administrator" option, or update your access rights to the Data Management Studio Configuration Files.

It seems as though I need access rights to where the config files are located. Does that sound fair?

Capture.JPG

AngusLooney
SAS Employee

Yes, you're right. The config files are in the program directory, and these are the files that control most of DMS's workings. One workaround could be to get the permissions on that file changes. I can't recall if there's an option to specifiy an alternative location for the .cfg file(s)

So, I've just had a quick search, and it looks like there is an approach taht addresses this.

The installation and configuration manual for DM Studio - 

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/dmpdmsicg/68221/PDF/default/dmpdmsicg.pdf

has a section that appears to talk about this:

DataFlux Data Management Studio reads configuration settings in this order:
1 The app.cfg file in the etc folder where the software is installed.
2 The app.cfg file in a user folder, such as drive:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\DataFlux\DataManagement\VERSION.
3 The application-specific configuration files in the etc folder, such as ui.cfg or dmserver.cfg.
4 The application-specific configuration files in a user folder.
5 The macros folder in the etc folder. The default path to the macros folder can be overridden with BASE/MACROS_PATH setting in the preceding configuration files.
6 The macros folder in a user folder.
7 The environment variables.
8 The command-line options if applicable

This reads very much like a typical Uix/Linux style approach, and I suspect that there's a way of using it to put QKB configuraiton into a cfg file in you user profile directory. I suggest downlading the docuement and perhaps raising a track the SAS Support for some guidance.

(Once you start digging around under the covers of the DataFlux applicaitons, they are VERY "unix-like".)

lrudolphi
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks again, Angus! I am going to engage my technical team and suggest that they reach out to SAS Support as well.
smxsor
SAS Employee

Hello @lrudolphi 

Did you solve this issue? Can you share it please? Since I am with exactly the same issue and also the company very restricted with access to the server where it is installed. I need to request access but be sure what I need to do and apply it.

Thank you very much for your help.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation