BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Rasheed
Calcite | Level 5

I have two data sets named want1 want2

ObsSCABMIBC

ObsSCABMIBC

Now i am using following program for my calculation that is working for want1 but giving some error for want2

%macro con;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

data final2;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

set                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

%do i = 1 %to 2;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

want&i;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

if _n_ = round((0.95*2)) then output;                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

run;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

%end;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

run;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Proc print data=final2;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

run;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

%mend;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

%con;

The log is

NOTE: There were 2 observations read from the data set WORK.WANT1.

NOTE: The data set WORK.FINAL2 has 1 observations and 5 variables.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.05 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "CON".

28766           if _n_ = round((0.95*2)) then output;

--

ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "I".

28766   want2

-----

ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

NOTE: There were 1 observations read from the data set WORK.FINAL2.

NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used (Total process time):

real time           0.06 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

Kindly help me in this regard and point out where actually the error is

Regards

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, that code is a bit of a mess.  The reason you are getting the error is because of the macro loop, imagine what the code being generated looks like:

%do i = 1 %to 2;                       

want&i;                   

run;                             

%end;                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

So set is there, then the first loop occurs:

data final2; set want1.; if _n_=round((0.85*2)) then output; run;

Then the next i loop occurs:

data final2; set want1.; if _n_=round((0.85*2)) then output; run; want2; if _n_=round((0.95*2)) then output; run;

As you can see the second loop has no data final2 or set and so becomes invalid code. 

Of course, as is almost always the case, you don't need any of that macro code at all, the semicolon modifier on the dataset name can be used:

data final2;

set want:;

if _n_=round((0.95*2)) then output;

run;

Rasheed
Calcite | Level 5

Thank RW9

Actually I want to apply if condition on each of the separate data sets want1 (two obs) and want2 (two obs)

According to your code of semicolon modifier, it actually combine both data sets and then apply if condition on combined data sets (with 4 obs)

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

So what is the condition, it looks like your using the _n_ automatic obs number, it isn't advised.  As for the other part:

data _null_:

do i=1 to 2;

call execute(cats('data final',put(i,1.),'; set want',put(i,1.),'; if _n_=round((0.95*2)) then output; run;'));

end;

run;

Reeza
Super User

Look at the INDSNAME option which allows you to identify the source for an observation when data is appended.

Also, there's the IN option in the SET statement that will identify the source, but that doesn't work well with the colon modifier.

Once you've identified the source you can apply your conditional logic.

data final2;

set want: indsname=source;

input=source;

run;

Steelers_In_DC
Barite | Level 11

I cannot tell what you are trying to accomplish with this code.  I would be sure to run what you intend without the macro first, then run the macro and verify the output.  This might be what you are intending to do but I'm not sure:

%macro con;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
data final2;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
%do i = 1 %to 2;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
set want&i;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

%end;

run; 

;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
run;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
%mend;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

%con;

ballardw
Super User

And really what is the difference between

if _n_ = round((0.95*2)) then

and

If _n_ = 2 then

other than verbosity and almost certainly more cpu operations?

round((0.95*2)) always results in 2, so why bother???

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation