BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hi All,

I often forget that DI Studio is sort of an interactive SAS session in the same way that Enterprise Guide is.  (Not quite interactive in the same way as DM SAS, but it uses one SAS session, so the work library persists across submissions.).

When I run a job, my head is thinking this job will be run in a fresh session (like an old-school batch submit would).

Is there a way in DIS to start a fresh SAS session (without quiting and re-opening?).   In  EG the workaround is to disconnect from the sever and then reconnect.  Anything like that for DIS?  

Thanks,

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Quentin,

DI Studio seems to recycle workspace servers more than EG. When I teach SAS platform admin I often show students SAS workspace server processes launching based on SAS client activity (like EG, DI etc). From memory, when you open a table in DI it launches a workspace server process as a conduit to the data. When you close the table the workspace server process is shutdown. Similarly when you open a job and run it, a new workspace server process is used for that job. When you close the job the workspace server process is shutdown. You might want to confirm this using a process viewer on the server (like Process Explorer on Windows) or the Server Manager plug-in in SAS Management Console. So I would suggest a way to force a new workspace server in DI (without restarting DI) is to close and re-open the job.

Cheers

Paul

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Quentin,

DI Studio seems to recycle workspace servers more than EG. When I teach SAS platform admin I often show students SAS workspace server processes launching based on SAS client activity (like EG, DI etc). From memory, when you open a table in DI it launches a workspace server process as a conduit to the data. When you close the table the workspace server process is shutdown. Similarly when you open a job and run it, a new workspace server process is used for that job. When you close the job the workspace server process is shutdown. You might want to confirm this using a process viewer on the server (like Process Explorer on Windows) or the Server Manager plug-in in SAS Management Console. So I would suggest a way to force a new workspace server in DI (without restarting DI) is to close and re-open the job.

Cheers

Paul

Quentin
Super User

Thanks Paul,

Well, now I feel silly. Yes, simply closing the job and re-opening does start a new session.   So I'll just beat that into my head.

I spent a half hour (or more) yesterday trying to get an autocall macro to load (checking the .sas file name, checking the permissions on the file, checking that the file name was low case [linux], checking the spelling of the file name again, checking the permission on the directory the file was in.... ), before remembering that it was all the same session, so without option MRECALL set, SAS would only look for it once in the session...

Since I use DIS in a simplistic way (basically my jobs are just one user-generated code element which just %includes a .sas program), it just feels like batch to me.  But makes sense that an open job would be a single session.  Which actually makes me wonder if in EG, it might have made sense to start a new session each time a new project is opened (random thought).

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Mike Sale presenting Data Warehousing with SAS April 10 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation