BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TurnTheBacon
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

When I start DI Studio, I log in with the administrator profile, and confirm that I have unrestricted access on SASApp:

Yet, when I use File -> New -> External File -> Delimited, and click "browse" in the wizard in order to locate the external file, I get this screen:

When I enter the exact same admin username and password that I used to log into DI Studio, I get an error message saying this:

The SAS troubleshooting page says this:

• Explanation: The specified server has been configured in metadata to allow SAS Token Authentication. These servers must have credentials specified for them in metadata in order for the object spawner to use to launch them.

• Resolution: Ensure that credentials are set for the server on the Options tab. After setting the credentials, restart your object spawner.

Any advice on how I can accomplish this? This is what my options look like (and "Test Connection" fails):

Thanks for your time.

12 REPLIES 12
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

You said it yourself. Yes, you need host credentials to start a SASApp Workspace Server connection.

It's best practice not to have an unrestricted user connected to a host login. The unrestricted should mainly deal with metadata, not "real" data.

What kind of action do you intend to do?

Data never sleeps
TurnTheBacon
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the feedback. I'm running DI Studio in an image on a virtual machine now, if that matters. I need to read a CSV-file into a DI Studio job. but apparently can't browse for it in the external file wizard without having host credentials. I'll try to find information about how to do that, but would definitely appreciate recommendations (if you know about simple instructions someplace).

I thought that the DI Studio client sent in host credentials when I logged on as SAS admin. Still don't understand how I can be logged on with unrestricted access to SASApp, yet not have access to register an external file on SASApp. 😕

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Create a new meta user, and for that user, define a login wtih a userid which exists in your VM. This user should not be unrestricted.

Data never sleeps
TurnTheBacon
Fluorite | Level 6

In Management Console there's a user with the name and userid "sasadm", with full access. He has the account "sasadm", defaultauth, and can read/write metadata.

In DI Studio there's a user profile with the name and userid "sasadm", and the correct machine/port settings. I log on as him using the exact same password as was set in Management Console.

Still, when logged in as sasadm I get the message "The user 'unknown' could not log on to the server "SASApp - Logical Workspace Server" when I test my connection to SASApp. Similarly I get the message "The user 'unknown' could not log on to the server "SASMeta - Logical Workspace Server" when I test my connection to SASMeta.

What am I missing here?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Is sasadm defined as an internal account?

The you have to login to SAS metadata server as sasadm@saspw

Still, you need to have a login to the OS in your VM attached to that account (or provide one each time you open a WorkSpace server connection).

Data never sleeps
DaveR_SAS
SAS Employee

sasadm is not a superuser account with access to everything. It is a special account used to administer metadata. You can't use it to connect to SAS DI Studio and access data, for example. As Linus said: "Create a new meta user, and for that user, define a login wtih a userid which exists in your VM. This user should not be unrestricted."

The steps for Adding a New User in SAS MC are here: SAS(R) 9.4 Management Console: Guide to Users and Permissions

For example, I used SAS MC to create a metadata identify for DI User 1. I specified my network credentials because I know that these credentials have access to the SAS App server and to the data I want to use.  Then I created a user proifile for DI User 1 and logged into DI Studio.

Rakeon
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,
I have the same problem....
I have DataIntegration in Windows OS, and I can't use DataIntegration in my LocalHost because I'm not able to access my SAS app Server....

I read the previous post...

but What does it means

" I know that these credentials have access to the SAS App server and to the data I want to use"?

How can I know the credential that allow to me to access my SAS app server?

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Local host means your local PC?
If you are trying to access a SASApp ws on a a Windows server talk to your SAS server admin.
Data never sleeps
Rakeon
Quartz | Level 8

yes,
my Local PC... 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
So what is the setup, did you manage to acquire a single user licence for learning purposes?
You need a full Data Integration Server install (with a configuration), DI Studio is not a stand alone product.
Data never sleeps
Rakeon
Quartz | Level 8

yes, 
of course, I have a user license, and I have already installed from setup SAS 9.4  the DI Server.

Rakeon
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,
finally I resolved my problem.
My mistakes was that I wrote all ID user in lower case instead of uppercase.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation