BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
bheinsius
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I need to specify NOIPASSTHRU on the PROC SQL code that the DIS 4.901 Extract transformation generates to prevent query from passing thru to SPDS.
Any way to do that?

Bart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bheinsius
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I changed from the SQL Extract to the SQL Join transformation and not joining anything, which lets me specify proc sql options.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Why would you like to that? Can't really imagine the situation when an extract is better performed by the SAS client.
The only way I know of is to avoid use the IP=YES LIBNAME option.
But that can be quite awkward in a metadata environment if you wish to use IP=YES in other situations.
Data never sleeps
bheinsius
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

SPDS still uses SQL optimizer from SAS 6.12

Some queries run much faster when processed by SAS 9.4. Mine goes from 2 minutes to 18 seconds when not passing through.

David_Luttrell
Obsidian | Level 7

By default all commands are carried out in the SAS engine so you should be okay. As part of a PROC SQL statement you need to stipulate that the SQL is being passed through to the database server. e.g. below:

proc sql outobs=15;
   connect to oracle as ora2 (user=user-id password=password);
   select * from connection to ora2 (select lname, fname, state from staff);
   disconnect from ora2;
quit;

You could try and lock this down even further by tightening how your Library connects to the DB

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/63647/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a001342247.htm

bheinsius
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

SAS passes the query down to SPDS automatically unless I specify NOIPASSTHRU (implicit pass-thru this is called).

My problem is that i can't find an option in the extract transformation that prevents the passthru.

There is a NODBIDIRECTEXECT option but this doesn't work for SPDS (i tried).

bheinsius
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I changed from the SQL Extract to the SQL Join transformation and not joining anything, which lets me specify proc sql options.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation