BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
birmster
Calcite | Level 5

I have a dataset that is structured like this:

Person     Demographic1     Age      Diagnosis1     SecondaryDiagnosis      SecondaryDiagnosisPosition

Bob          Male                    45              424.0              250.1                                2

Bob          Male                    45              424.0               V89.1                              3

Bob          Male                    45               424.0               715.0                              4

Jane          Female               22               492.11          V25                                  2

Roger        Male                    10               720.1         

etc etc...

I would like to create a dataset like this:

Person     Demographic1     Age          Diagnosis1     diagnosis2           diagnosis3     diagnosis4.....etc

Bob           Male                    45               424.0              250.1                  V89.1               715.0

Jane          Female               22               492.11          V25

Roger          Male                  10               720.1

etc...

My first thought was to create a new variable for each secondary diagnosis position (so... diagnosis2, diagnosis3, etc) and have it store the associated diagnosis code. I used this code:

data x; set data y;

diagnosis3   = .;

IF(secondarydiagnosis) =3 then diagnosis3= secondarydiagnosis;

run;

I tried this, but it didn't quite work- it errors out because of the v-codes (character data) inherent in ICD-9 coding. It seems like when I created the new variable, it was automatically created as a numeric variable, when it should've been a character variable. I've tried to switch it to a character, but when I do that, I end up deleting my entire dataset.

data x;

diagnosis2_char = put(diagnosis2, 6.)

drop diagnosis2;

rename diagnosis2_char = diagnosis2;

run;

Primary question: How should I be creating my new variables to get around this issue with the V-codes without deleting my dataset?

Secondary question: I'm not sure that I've chosen the most efficient way to get from the dataset structure I have to the dataset structure that I want- so if there are comments on that, it would be appreciated as well- but my primary problem is the character/ numeric situation.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Try TRANSPOSE:

data have;

infile datalines missover;

input Person $ Demographic1 $ Age  Diagnosis1 $ SecondaryDiagnosis $ SecondaryDiagnosisPosition;

datalines;

Bob          Male                    45              424.0              250.1                                2

Bob          Male                    45              424.0               V89.1                              3

Bob          Male                    45               424.0               715.0                              4

Jane          Female               22               492.11          V25                                  2

;

proc transpose data=have out=want(drop=_name_) prefix=Diagnosis;

by Person Demographic1 Age  Diagnosis1 notsorted;

var SecondaryDiagnosis;

id SecondaryDiagnosisPosition;

run;

PG

PG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Try TRANSPOSE:

data have;

infile datalines missover;

input Person $ Demographic1 $ Age  Diagnosis1 $ SecondaryDiagnosis $ SecondaryDiagnosisPosition;

datalines;

;

proc transpose data=have out=want(drop=_name_) prefix=Diagnosis;

by Person Demographic1 Age  Diagnosis1 notsorted;

var SecondaryDiagnosis;

id SecondaryDiagnosisPosition;

run;

PG

PG
birmster
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the reply-- I need to research TRANSPOSE (never used it before). I will try this out- thank you!

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

PROC TRANSPOSE is designed to do this.

Your first attempt created a numeric variable because the first reference to it was when you assigned a numeric value to it. (diagnosis3   = .;)

Your second attempt does not have any data since you forgot to include a SET statement. So it will create a dataset with only one observation.

You were on the right track to a brute force solution.  One trick to make it easier is to nest the SET statement inside of a DO loop.

data want;

do until (last.person);

set have;

by person;

if secondarydiagnosisposition =2 then diagnosis2= secondarydiagnosis;

if secondarydiagnosisposition =3 then diagnosis3= secondarydiagnosis;

if secondarydiagnosisposition =4 then diagnosis4= secondarydiagnosis;

if secondarydiagnosisposition =5 then diagnosis5= secondarydiagnosis;

if secondarydiagnosisposition =6 then diagnosis6= secondarydiagnosis;

if secondarydiagnosisposition =7 then diagnosis7= secondarydiagnosis;

if secondarydiagnosisposition =8 then diagnosis8= secondarydiagnosis;

if secondarydiagnosisposition =9 then diagnosis9= secondarydiagnosis;

end;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation