BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GregG
Quartz | Level 8

I am extracting fields from an Oracle Table using the Transformation > SQL > Extract transformation.

Within the Extract transformation, on the mappings tab, I have created a two new variables/columns and given each an expression.

• column ------------ expression
  • stc_crs_sec ------ trim(stc_course_name)||'*'||trim(stc_section_no)
  • snapshot_date -- &sysdate

After some manipulations, I will load this data into another Oracle table.

However, the date portion is giving me an issue. I added it, so the expression for the column stc_crs_sec is working just fine. However, after adding the date, the job fails with the following errors:

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, *, **, +, -, /, , =, , =, >, >=, ?, AND, CONTAINS, EQ, EQT, GE, GET, GT, GTT, LE, LET, LIKE, LT, LTT, NE, NET, OR, ^=, |, ||, ~=.

And when I look at the log, I get:

3768                (&SYSDATE) as SNAPSHOT_DATE length = 8
NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "SYSDATE".
3768       14OCT15
             _____
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, *, **, +, -, /, <, <=, <>, =, >, >=, ?, AND, CONTAINS, EQ, 
              EQT, GE, GET, GT, GTT, LE, LET, LIKE, LT, LTT, NE, NET, OR, ^=, |, ||, ~=.  

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

What I don't understand is - I'm not comparing it, I just want 14OCT15 to be placed into the column "Snapshot_Date" for each observation.

How do I accomplish this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

&sysdate contains a string and not a SAS date value. That's why your code throws an error.

As expression use either:

"&sysdate"d   or   date()

You then need also to apply a date9. format for your target column SNAPSHOT_DATE.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

&sysdate contains a string and not a SAS date value. That's why your code throws an error.

As expression use either:

"&sysdate"d   or   date()

You then need also to apply a date9. format for your target column SNAPSHOT_DATE.

GregG
Quartz | Level 8

That seems to have added an additional error.

Here is the log:

NOTE: Mapping columns ...
5307       proc sql;
5308          create view work.W1PO1ZZ7 as
5309             select
5310                STC_PERSON_ID as STU_ID,
5311                STC_COURSE_NAME,
5312                STC_TERM,
5313                STC_SECTION_NO,
5314                (TRIM(STC_COURSE_NAME)||'*'||TRIM(STC_SECTION_NO)) as STC_CRS_SEC length = 8,
5315                &SYSDATE as SNAPSHOT_DATE length = 8
                                              ______
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: GROUP, HAVING, ORDER, WHERE.  

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "SYSDATE".
5315                 14OCT15
                       _____
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, *, **, +, ',', -, /, <, <=, <>, =, >, >=, ?, AND, AS, 
              CONTAINS, EQ, EQT, FROM, GE, GET, GT, GTT, LE, LET, LIKE, LT, LTT, NE, NET, OR, ^=, |, ||, ~=.  

5316          from &SYSLAST
5317             where STC_TERM = '15/FA'
5318          ;
NOTE: PROC SQL set option NOEXEC and will continue to check the syntax of statements.
5319       quit;
174                                                        The SAS System                          09:27 Wednesday, October 14, 2015

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

And here is a picture of my Extract Transformation Mappings tab:

extract2.png

extract.png
GregG
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you, I solved my problem. I don't know why, but I had to shut down DI Studio twice before the solution you offered would actually work. Now it works fine though. Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation