BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Shirki
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am new to DI and I am not sure if this has been answered elsewhere, but does anyone know how to create a flag or a counter for the first time a value appears for a dataset?

In SAS BASE code, I use:

data output;

set input;

by variable;

if first.variable then count = 1;

run;

Any help on this would be extremely helpful. If anything doesn't make sense let me know.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16

I believe this is the right approach.

first sort the dataset on the variables in which you want the data to sort and then  use first.var to flag the record. Please let me know if this has not worked for you or provide a sample data .

Thanks,

jag

Thanks,
Jag
Shirki
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Jag,

Thanks for the quick response. The approach I mentioned works in EG but I need a DI method that does the same thing.

I have searched online and tried to use ROWNUMBER or ROWCOUNT but DI informs me that it cannot find those functions.

Cheers

Kimberley

Shirki
Calcite | Level 5

I was able to use monotonic!

I ended up using monotonic to create a row number and then using min() to get the lowest row number for my variable. Followed by applying a boolean value where 1 was the min row number and 0 was any succeeding row.

Thank you for your help!!

Reeza
Super User

Just a warning that it's considered unsupported and shouldn't be used in production - so use at your own risk Smiley Sad

Shirki
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the warning, I'll use it for testing and validation purposes but keep it out of my production jobs.

In the meantime, I'll keep hunting for a supported method :smileygrin:.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

You can't use monotonic() interchangeable with first. processing of the data step. It' more like the _n_ variable.

But if it fits your current need, great.

To be able to use first. processing in DIS, you need to use User Written code, there is no "pure" data step transformation available.

About montonic() being unsupported, one funny thing is that is now being used within the Data Validation transformation. Wonder if SAS is supporting that...

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation