BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
etl_tool
Calcite | Level 5

I need your help.

I'm trying to convert a string column which is in sybase in the below format into SAS date.

The sybase table has string values like this

2015-04-23 04:04:46.517

2015-04-22 04:04:35.162

2015-04-21 04:04:43.646

I need to get the max of these values and store it in a max_tmsp variable and get the records where last_updt_tmsp > max_tmsp. I wrote a precode before the job starts but it is not working.

I referred to the below link and tried to write some code.

How to convert the datetime character string to SAS datetime value? (ANYDTDTM and MDYAMPM formats) |...

All this code is in Precode before the job starts.

proc sql noprint;

SELECT

select max(input(PROPERTY_VAL, MDYAMPMw.d)) into :last_updt_tmsp

from sybase_lib.prop_vals  where property_key='last.update.date';

quit;

format &last_updt_tmsp. DATETIME18.;

data _null_;

call symput('lst_cre_dttm',"'"||"&last_updt_tmsp."||"'dt");

run;

%put lst_cre_dttm=&lst_cre_dttm

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

You really should be getting errors and post the errors.

The following line most likely should be in a dataset. But macro variables do not have formats, they are all string.

If the data you are trying to convert is yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss.ff then you do not want to use  MDYAMPMw.d as that reads data as mmddyyyy hh:mm:ss AM/PM.

You want the informat  ymddttm25. The value of max however is going to be a number such as 1521285787.40000.

If you want the macro variable to look like     21APR2015:04:04:44 then you need something like

select put((max(input(PROPERTY_VAL, MDYAMPMw.d))),datetime25.) into :last_updt_tmsp

However since it looks like you want to make a datetime literal with the data _null_ step you should:

Not worry about the "format" of the macro variable if you are planning in using it in code later.

etl_tool
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Ballardw. I'll try, however I am having difficulty where the job sometimes does not read the precode and the variable is not getting read.

etl_tool
Calcite | Level 5

Getting this error in the log

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: a format name, ?.

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

ballardw
Super User

Show the submitted code with the error messages.

etl_tool
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks I got this figured out with the help from stachoverflow.

Here's the solution

proc sql noprint;

SELECT

select max(input(PROPERTY_VAL, anydtdtm24.)) format=datetime22.3 into :last_updt_tmsp from sybase_lib.prop_vals where property_key='last.update.date';

quit;

data null;

call symput('lst_cre_dttm',"'"||"&last_updt_tmsp."||"'dt");

run;

%put lst_cre_dttm=&lst_cre_dttm

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation