BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rbikes
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I am trying to create a condensed dataset from one that has a stepwise apperence. I started by thinking of listing the column varables names and setting those varables names that repeat to the same column. I did this by collecting the names into double ampersand macro varables list, one appersand for the subgroup name and the other appersand for the count of repeated varables. Then I conducted a %if %else condition with %index. Now it seemed to work fine, but the  and find some TRUE results, but it dones't seem to like to output to static varable names:

%else %if %index(&&b&i, 2)>0 %then C3=resolve('&&b&i');

MLOGIC(DOIT):  %IF condition %index(&&b&i, 2)>0 is TRUE
NOTE: Line generated by the invoked macro "DOIT".
36     C3=resolve('&&b&i')
       --

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, *, **, +, -, /, ;, <, <=, <>, =, >,
              ><, >=, AND, EQ, GE, GT, IN, LE, LT, MAX, MIN, NE, NG, NL, NOTIN, OR, ^=, |, ||, ~=.

Here bellow is a relpicated issue:

%let a1 = a5;
%let a2 = a6;
%let a3 = a7;
%let a4 = a8;
%let obs = 4;

data prop;
	input a5 a6 a7 a8;
	n=_n_;
cards;
1 . . .
. 2 . .
. 2 . .
. . 3 .
. . 3 .
. . 3 .
. . . 4
. . . 4
. . . 4
. . . 4
;
run;
options mlogic;
%macro doit1();
data prop2;
	length f 3.;
	set prop;
	by n;
	%do i=1 %to &obs;
		%if %index(&&a&i,5)>0 %then e=&&a&i;
		%else %if %index(&&a&i,6)>0 %then e=&&a&i;
		%else %if %index(&&a&i,7)>0 %then e=&&a&i;
		%else %if %index(&&a&i,8)>0 %then e=&&a&i;
	%end;
run;
%mend;

%doit1;
options nomlogic;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

You are mixing Macro and base SAS code.

You don't show what you actually want this to accomplish but take a look at the results from this:

data want;
   set prop;
   a5 = coalesce(a5,a6,a7,a8);
run;

It moves all of the values from A5 to A8 into A5. You could drop the A6-A8 variables if you don't need them after this step.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

You are mixing Macro and base SAS code.

You don't show what you actually want this to accomplish but take a look at the results from this:

data want;
   set prop;
   a5 = coalesce(a5,a6,a7,a8);
run;

It moves all of the values from A5 to A8 into A5. You could drop the A6-A8 variables if you don't need them after this step.

rbikes
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for replying ballardw!

The function is great! I appericate your time, next time I will spicify what I am looking for.

rbikes

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation