Paper 111-31
A Pragmatic Programmers Introduction to
Data Integration Studio: Hands on Workshop
by Gregory S. Nelson

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/111-31.pdf

trying to do
TASK 2 – STEP 😧 CREATE METADATA FOR OUR SOURCE DATA
but am getting the error message below while
****************************************************************************************

NOTE: This session is executing on the NET_ASRV platform.

NOTE: (E9BX03) SAS 9.1.3 SP 4

NOTE: SAS Initialization used (Total process time):
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

1 LIBNAME srcdata ODBC DATASRC=Northwind ;
ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [Microsoft][ODBC
Driver Manager]
Data source name not found and no default driver specified
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

*******************************************************************************************

Tried finding some explanations of the error message on the web, even installed the Office 2007 ODBC driver but still getting the error.

Any suggestions to get me past this logjam will be much appreciated.

Thnx
6 REPLIES 6
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Suggest you contact SAS Tech Support, open a track for further guidance with SAS 9.1.3 SP4 -- however also have you searched the SAS support website? There are multiple "hits" which mention this symptom and an associated HOTFIX, where the problem is corrected (source level) in SAS 9.2.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Suggested Google advanced search argument, this topic / post:;
odbc CLI error trying to establish connection site:sas.com
DaveR_SAS
SAS Employee
The SAS 9.2 Intelligence Platform: Data Administration Guide includes this topic about connecting to SAS/ACCESS via ODBC:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bidsag/61236/HTML/default/a003112372.htm
Hello Lorn9,

It's difficult to say without a few more specifics, but one thing to check is how you created the ODBC connection. Please make sure that you created it as a "system" rather than a "user" DSN. It may be that the SAS process is running as a different user than the one you created the DSN with, thus the error message about "Data source name not found". If this turns out not to be the case, please post again and we can look at something else.

Thanks

Tim Stearn
deleted_user
Not applicable
I did create the ODBC connection as a "system" rather than a "user" DSN.
Not sure what is meant by "It may be that the SAS process is running as a different user than the one you created the DSN with..."

I tried importing a table with Management Console, but the error persists.
The Result Error box says "No tables were retrieved from your query. Your connection information may be incorrect. Do you want to view the SAS log?"

I'm wondering now if I have the correct Associated Machine for the ODBC server I created. I'm getting confused with the default name appearing in the field, which has the name where SAS is running, and what I'm reading..."This is the server where the database is running." has me concerned, since the Northwind database is on my c drive. I tried putting my computer's name as the Associated Machine because
that is where the database is located. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I have contacted SAS Tech Support to open a track.
I'll share their solution once they get one for me.
Thank you for posting ideas and pointing at links.
Much appreciated,
Lorn9
deleted_user
Not applicable
I was contacted by a SAS tech person and turns out I was creating the OBDC data source
in my cubicle computer. However, SAS/ACCESS is not licensed on my desk machine.
The answer was to create the ODBC data source on the server.
Once I did that, I was able to get past my logjam.
Many thanks to Varsha at Technical Support and this forum where the answer was given, but I was unable to decipher it on my own.
Thanks again,
Lorn09
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks again,
Lorn9 Message was edited by: Lorn9

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation