BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

My objective is to append the source datasets in one of the DI Job. I could do this with the User Written code Transformation and log also confirmed the required Output rows. But when I tried to open the dataset, it's not opening due to the warning 'A mapping with multiple sourcr columns requires a expression'.

I would like to seek help to handle mapping in the target dataset while appending the four datasets which had similar structure. Without mapping from to target it's not producing any rows. I would like to achive this in one step

Code which I have in User Written code Transformation is,

data ALLOC_EXP_A(drop=Expense Paid Address)
) ;
set Alloc_Expns 
Commns_Alloc_Expns 
Attri_Acqs_Alloc_Expns 
Alloc_Expns;
VALUE_LC=Expense;
VALUE_TC=Expense;
run;

@Rama_V @Patrick @PaigeMiller @Jagadishkatam 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

Other than user written transformation, most of the transformations are auto generated code, means when you map columns and write expression in the mapping section the code is generated in the code section accordingly.

For User written, the expression is written explicitly in the code section, that means you do not need an expression in the mapping but mapping single target column with two source columns gives warning. You can ignore or to avoid this warning, just propagate the columns you need. Mapping is not required from source to target columns

If this is confusing, use Append Transformation.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Calling @Patrick to seek his input

Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

User Written Transformation creates a work table and they are referred by auto generated macro variables. for example _input1 , _output1 they can be used to refer input and output table connected to the transformation.

Write the below code with &_output1. and execute of the code. If the target table doesn't have metadata columns then it needs to updated. It is done by right clicking on the target table then select update metadata. If the option is not shown try after saving the job.This should populate metadata columns from the physical data set referred by the target table. 

data &_output1.;
set Alloc_Expns Commns_Alloc_Expns Attri_Acqs_Alloc_Expns Alloc_Expns; VALUE_LC=Expense; VALUE_TC=Expense; run;

Have you tried Append Transformation, which does same job and can visualize the columns 

David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@Rama_V How to handle the mapping if I use User Written Code Transformation as we have more than one source dataset to map to the target? I already tried what you said in User Written Code Transformation but I got warning  'A mapping with multiple source columns requires a expression'. in the mapping section.

Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

Other than user written transformation, most of the transformations are auto generated code, means when you map columns and write expression in the mapping section the code is generated in the code section accordingly.

For User written, the expression is written explicitly in the code section, that means you do not need an expression in the mapping but mapping single target column with two source columns gives warning. You can ignore or to avoid this warning, just propagate the columns you need. Mapping is not required from source to target columns

If this is confusing, use Append Transformation.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation