BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
VVDR
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

In SAS DI studio, I am extraction/loading data from 4 datasets and creating one new dataset. 

Now, I am confused with "Extract transformation" and "loader transformation", which one to use and what is the difference. After selecting which one to use I am going to use "Join transformation" to filter some records based on the conditions. Please advise.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

Extract and Table Loader both can be used to create final Metadata Registered non work Table.

Extract just does Select statement with work table. 

Table loader has additional feature which will help to maintain target table properly, for example like dropping indexes and constraints or truncate tables(especially helps in database permission maintenance) instead recreating it completely. While loading into Database Tables it also has additional options to process faster like bulk loading etc

DI studio looks at the Table Loader as Final step and provides the Target tables information in Basic properties. 

My best practice is to use Extract for intermediate steps for minor changes in data or  when I want to break down the code in smaller steps, and saving Table Loader for final step.

Hope this helps for start. For more refer to documentation.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

Extract and Table Loader both can be used to create final Metadata Registered non work Table.

Extract just does Select statement with work table. 

Table loader has additional feature which will help to maintain target table properly, for example like dropping indexes and constraints or truncate tables(especially helps in database permission maintenance) instead recreating it completely. While loading into Database Tables it also has additional options to process faster like bulk loading etc

DI studio looks at the Table Loader as Final step and provides the Target tables information in Basic properties. 

My best practice is to use Extract for intermediate steps for minor changes in data or  when I want to break down the code in smaller steps, and saving Table Loader for final step.

Hope this helps for start. For more refer to documentation.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation