BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SJN
Fluorite | Level 6 SJN
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

I'm trying to pull customer names from Access.I looking for DDE to run Ms_access from sas. The Ms-acess is pulling data from Oracle DB. I cant connect directly to the DB because the customer name is in chinese character.

Regards,

SJN

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I don't know if you can use DDE with MS Access. Euther way, it's ancient tehnology, and you suggest that you look for alternatives.

The main way to acess MS Access data (among other sources) is SAS/ACCESS to PC FIle Formats. Once there, you can use a libname directly to the Access database.

Just out of curiosity, how does Access handle the chineese character problem? And how do you wish to use the names in SAS?

Data never sleeps
SJN
Fluorite | Level 6 SJN
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes. MS-Access handles the china characters.

"The main way to acess MS Access data (among other sources) is SAS/ACCESS to PC FIle Formats. Once there, you can use a libname directly to the Access database."

Can you give out an example how to do this.

I tell you how Access is pulling the data from Oracle. Once I run the queryin Access  there are some intermediate small tables are created. These intermediate table are just nothing but to make the data diff. From these tables they made final query in Access and running the query to get the chinese character.

This is the first time I'm trying to pull the data from access. I'm still exploring those intermediate tables. Just want to know is there any easy way to pull data from it by using DDE/some other method either in Base/EG sas.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

The easiest way requires SAS/ACCESS to PC FIle Formats, as stated.

Is this something you will do on a regular basis?

Data never sleeps
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If you need these chinese characters in SAS in the end then going via SAS/Access won't help. What you need in such a case is your SAS session to run in a multi-byte mode. 

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/nlsref/67964/HTML/default/viewer.htm#titlepage.htm

https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/Multilingual_Computing_with_SAS_94.pdf

If the chinese characters also end up in MS Access then you'll have exactly the same issue there when trying to pull this data into SAS.

If you just need to do some processing with these chinese names but you don't need to pull this column into SAS then process on the data base using pass-through SQL and only pull the result of this operation into SAS (whithout the column with chinese names). This should work as long as none of the charater fields transferred to SAS contains a multi-byte character.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation