BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
leogaller
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi guys!

I´m working on a client where some ABTs are huge, 5Tb for example. Those ABTs are not disponible for users yet, but, our fear is that when they start to access that tables, all the querys start to get too* slow, and even not running or returning error. 

My manager asked me if it is possible to move those abts that are in SAS environment to Oracle. 

Is it possible? Move the abts to Oracle and continue using the scoring tools that we have?

How can I create a hardware requirement based in the size of the ABTs, quantity of users that will access it simultaneously?

I would love hear your opinions! \o/

SAS 9.4 - Credit Score for Banking

Leonardo Galler

4 REPLIES 4
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Technically, definitely possible. But what's the use case?

It won't automatically go faster in Oracle, given that you don't have a large Exadata installation or similar in your wardrobe...

Perhaps you set up a internal project to look at your requirements, analyze the current environment, and evaluate alternatives - perhaps with a proof of concept.

Data never sleeps
leogaller
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for your anwser LinusH!
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

You are absolutely correct to be concerned about your server slowing to a crawl, although without more information about number of users, typical queries, and server environment no predictions can be made.

Moving the data to a standard Oracle environment is likely to slow things down, if, as is frequently the case, many of your queries will result in full or close to full table scans.

I had some success with a similar environment, but I'd rather not get into discussing other products on this forum. If you'd like to discuss it further, contact me offline.

Tom

leogaller
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks Tom, I will contact you! Best regards!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation