BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jstierman
Fluorite | Level 6

I am considering to install 64-bit SAS on my machine, but wondering if I create SAS datasets, will my coworkers who are still on 32-bit SAS not be able to read or work with them? Are 32-bit SAS installations compatible with SAS datasets created with the 64-bit SAS software.

I do not use format catalogs, which I know are not compatible between versions.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Datasets are compatible as long as you are all on the same operating system - the bitness of SAS doesn't matter. As you have already noted SAS catalogs aren't compatible between 32 and 64-bit versions.

And from @maggiem_sas:

See also the Compatibility Calculator to help answer questions about cross-release or cross-environment compatibility:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/files/calculator/

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Datasets are compatible as long as you are all on the same operating system - the bitness of SAS doesn't matter. As you have already noted SAS catalogs aren't compatible between 32 and 64-bit versions.

And from @maggiem_sas:

See also the Compatibility Calculator to help answer questions about cross-release or cross-environment compatibility:

ballardw
Super User

SAS 9.4 files by default will not be readable by 9.2 or earlier. i believer there is a system option related to reporting the number of records that is involved with this but can't remember which one at the moment.

jstierman
Fluorite | Level 6
Would the bitness of Windows matter? I'm guessing not. I assume you mean that datasets are incompatible between Linux vs Mac vs Windows, but that SAS for Windows are always compatible among each other.

Asking because I'll be on Windows 7 64-bit, whereas some coworkers will have Win 7 32-bit until they get new machines.

Thanks for your help!
jstierman
Fluorite | Level 6
P.s. We are on SAS 9.3 if that makes a difference.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Not SAS data set specific, but worth mentioning is the compatibility with MS Office files.

See @ChrisHemedinger blog post which I think is still relevant:

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2012/05/01/64-bit-gotchas/

Data never sleeps
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

SAS for Windows data sets are compatible -- the same -- on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.  So sharing data sets with colleagues who are using Windows should work fine.

Format catalogs (or any catalog files), as you know, are different.  Those would require a step through PROC MIGRATE or CPORT/CIMPORT in order to share.

SAS on any operating system can read data sets created on a different operating system, thanks to cross-environment data access (CEDA).  For example, if you create data with SAS for Linux, that data set can be read by SAS for Windows.  However, you can't update that data set "in place" from the different OS, unlike when you're working with a data set on the "native" operating system.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
maggiem_sas
SAS Employee

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation