BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RTDM_User
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Team,

1. how can i excute a left join between 2 tables (data grids) in the rtdm flow? (there isnt a custom func for it)

2. how can i excute join between 3 tables (data grids)? (without using 2 functions - just in one)

Thanks in advance,

RTDM_User

2 REPLIES 2
needle
SAS Employee

Hi RTDM_User,

Unfortunately the join options are limited to inner joins when dealing with data grids in the RTDM flow (as you've probably found out by looking at the available data grid functions in the RTDM user guide). Also, as you've noticed, the TABLEINNERJOIN function only works with two data grids, not multiple.

Since you are dealing with data grids, I'd like to ask where these table structures are originating from? If they're originating from a database, you could use a DS2 custom process for manipulating the data before returning a data grid back to the decision flow. In DS2 you can use FedSQL which would accomplish your join requirements (even though joining three tables would still be two separate joins in FedSQL). You can read more about the FedSQL join operations here:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/fedsqlref/67364/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p1q7agzgxs9ik5n1...

Dmitry_Alergant
Pyrite | Level 9

I'd say using databases and SQL is one way to do the job, but it's not necessarily.

While it is true that the built-in Data Grid manipulation functions are sometimes limited, on our projects we do sometimes develop DS2 or Groovy "SAS processes" that cover for the missing functionality not yet available with built-in functions.

Basically, the DS2 or Groovy process can take two (or more) data grids as an input and return one as an output.   Inside, you do some basic programming with cycles, hash tables e.t.c. to implement whatever processing you need (Left Join for instance).  Then on a diagram, you just place the node wherever you need to do the processing and refer to its output instead of a function call.

-------
Dmitriy Alergant, Tier One Analytics
How to improve email deliverability

SAS' Peter Ansbacher shows you how to use the dashboard in SAS Customer Intelligence 360 for better results.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation