BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Pavan4
Calcite | Level 5

Hi I am trying to execute sasci campaigns .it is generating logs in some particular location but it is not editable mode to end user.

I would need when ever logs generate by sasci it must be 644 permission.Then end users can able to read permsiiions.

8 REPLIES 8
Damo
SAS Employee

Hi @Pavan4

Sorry I'm not sure what the question is.

Can you clarify what you're looking for?

And which version of CI Studio are you using?

They might be able to access their campaign execution log within the GUI.

Cheers,
Damo

pcapazzi
Pyrite | Level 9

What permissions do you see now? Are the users part of the same group that the file is associated with (SAS?)

I'm not sure why you mention the users don't have edit capability. Going by the permissions you want I think you really want read-only which makes sense.  

I'm not in the habit of using this command but you could look into the unix/linux "umask" command. It sets the default permissions of newly created files for a user. So whatever service account is writing the logs would need to have the updated umask applied as part of its startup script.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/umask

Pavan4
Calcite | Level 5

Hi I am using sasci 6.5 version.Suppose I am trying to execute any campaign or update any cell node in the sasci .It will be generating log in some path.The owner of the log is sas  for SAS user it is 644 but the same log is not editable to any other users like myslf and my team mates.Unless until If I change permissions to that log.

The question is when ever campaigns executes the logs should be editable mode for other users by default.

pcapazzi
Pyrite | Level 9

Can I ask why you want edit rights to the log file? If the permission is set as 644 that means anyone can view the file so anyone could copy that file and edit it in a folder where they have full permissions. What is the purpose of editing the original log file?

Pavan4
Calcite | Level 5

This is for testing purpose .End users (Campaign owners, Campaign designers ) they want to check the logs immediately. While checking the logs it is in read mode .Is there any option is available while generating the logs by default it should be 755 mode.I can grant the permissions but thing is  it should be by default 755 rather than manually grant the access.

when ever sasci generate the log by default it should  be 755 by sas owner

pcapazzi
Pyrite | Level 9

755 is adding executable permissions at each level (owner, group, and others). It would not give group or other users write capability. That is not necessary for log files and setting the CI service account to use that as a default is a security issue.

You've confirmed that the users are able to view the log files in read-only mode. Why do they need to edit it? I can't think of a reason for a need to edit a log file.

Getting back to what you want to do the correction permission setting would be 664 (owner and group have read/write while others have read only) or 666 (owner/group/other all have read/write). I think the only way to change the default is to have an admin set up the SAS CI Service Account to have a umask that sets default permissions to one of those schemes. Just understand that all files created by SAS CI (not just logs) will have this default permission set. Be careful.

mb1008
Calcite | Level 5
I have a similar issue upgraded CI Studio from 6.5 to 6.6. SASCustIntelCore6.6.log is set to 640 and I need it to be 644. I understand that I can do the chmod in unix but I want the 644 to be permissions going forward. If I chmod it only changes today's log an will not roll with the daily rolling log and tomorrow's log will be 640 again. Can someone point me to the link / documentation of where I can set the permissions of this daily rolling log to 644. Thanks.
G9
Calcite | Level 5 G9
Calcite | Level 5

Got stuck with a simular problem. Have you managed to get a solution to it? 

Thanks.

How to improve email deliverability

SAS' Peter Ansbacher shows you how to use the dashboard in SAS Customer Intelligence 360 for better results.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation