BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ThreeJay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hey there,

I just wondering if there's a way to hide attributes containing name, adress and contact information of our customers for selection purpose? Usually I only need to assign these information for export (-definitions) and not in selection diagramms. Maybe there ist a setting in IMAP Studio for that? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jakobus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dmitry_Alergant
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

Technical answer to you question is that yes, you can do this, by assigning the Level = ID property in the information map to these attributes.  ID-level attributes are not available for selection criteria in the Select node, but are available for export. 

But I wonder why would you want to do that, to remove the ability to select by these attributes? If it has to do with security (campaign managers are not allowed to have a glimpse into the personally identifiable information), then this wouldn't change much. There are still plenty ways for an advanced user to have a glimpse and even extract the data from these attributes, even if he doesn't see them for selection in the Select Node.    

If it is a security concern, you should remove this information from the part of the data mart that SAS CI application and users see, process the export files or tables to re-add the PII information somewhere in the background, beyond the scope of SAS CI solution.

-------
Dmitriy Alergant, Tier One Analytics

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Dmitry_Alergant
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

Technical answer to you question is that yes, you can do this, by assigning the Level = ID property in the information map to these attributes.  ID-level attributes are not available for selection criteria in the Select node, but are available for export. 

But I wonder why would you want to do that, to remove the ability to select by these attributes? If it has to do with security (campaign managers are not allowed to have a glimpse into the personally identifiable information), then this wouldn't change much. There are still plenty ways for an advanced user to have a glimpse and even extract the data from these attributes, even if he doesn't see them for selection in the Select Node.    

If it is a security concern, you should remove this information from the part of the data mart that SAS CI application and users see, process the export files or tables to re-add the PII information somewhere in the background, beyond the scope of SAS CI solution.

-------
Dmitriy Alergant, Tier One Analytics
shill
SAS Employee

Your answer is spot-on, of course, but I would just add that it's always been our best practice to set that kind of information as Level=ID to keep it from being used as selection criteria. Partly to keep the list of fields that marketers have to navigate to a minimum, partly to prevent any accidental or malicious use of targetting based on names (for example), and partly to keep people from thinking of CI Studio as an ad-hoc query tool 🙂

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

ThreeJay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Dmitriy, thanks for your answer. In our case it's not a security issue. But one more question on that security topic: Isn't it possible to hide these personal customer data from the campaign manager under the following cicumstances?

- the user only have access to SAS CI Studio (no EG, etc.)

- the user has no right to export data (no export node) and is not allowed to see previews of export data in communication nodes

- the user has no right to execute campaigns (he only can send them to admin for schedule)

- the user has no access to folders where export data is written to by SAS CI (the schedule user has)

I thought there is no way for the user to see the personal data of the customers in such a scenario. Am I wrong?

BR, Jakobus

CJ_04.jpg
How to improve email deliverability

SAS' Peter Ansbacher shows you how to use the dashboard in SAS Customer Intelligence 360 for better results.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation