BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jeff_RNL
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I have just begun the Advanced Analytics e-learning course. In the course setup section, it indicates to get the course programs and data from my 😧 drive. This would imply that I have a CD/DVD with the course resources. Is this something that will be mailed to me or is there another way to access the course resources?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TheresaStemler
SAS Moderator

Hi Jeff_RNL,

This course you will access all of the programs and the data through the VLE (Virtual Lab Environment). Once in the VLE, you find the D drive via Window Explorer. For details about reserving you VLE, please see Reserving Software Lab Time on the community home page.

For your second question, the way most students work is that they will follow a chapter or two, all the way through, and then, they will make a reservation in the Virtual Lab to work on the exercises for those two chapters. As an example, let's say you start working on a course at 8 am and by 8:45, you are most of the way through Chapter 1 and realize that you'll be ready to practice by 9:30. Since it takes approximately 30-45 minutes to start the Amazon image, then, at 8:45, you request a reservation and while you wait for the reservation to be ready, you finish listening to Chapter 1 and get through Chapter 2. So, by 9:30, when you get the notice that your reservation is ready, you click to switch to the Amazon image and start working. Let's say you take 1.5 hours to work on the exercises, but you made a 3 hour reservation. You should not let the reservation "burn down" while you continue listening to new chapters. Instead, you should cancel the reservation and save your image so that you get the unused 1.5 hours returned back to your allotted time.

I hope this helps.

theresa

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

You’ve posted this in the Academy for Data Science, if you’re taking one of those courses they use a virtual lab, a virtual machine with SAS installed, as well as the data and you don’t have data on your local machine. 

If you’re taking a different course, there should be set up instructions with code to generate the data you need. 

@Jeff_RNL wrote:

Hi,

I have just begun the Advanced Analytics e-learning course. In the course setup section, it indicates to get the course programs and data from my 😧 drive. This would imply that I have a CD/DVD with the course resources. Is this something that will be mailed to me or is there another way to access the course resources?

Thanks

Jeff_RNL
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the info. Yes, the course is in the Academy for Data Science. My concern is that prior to starting each lesson, you don't really know if or how much you will need the Virtual Lab in order to follow along with lesson examples and practice.

Reeza
Super User

If you look through the forum here you’ll see some other users have had the same question. In general, SAS response is that they’ve set it up so that you have enough time. 

TheresaStemler
SAS Moderator

Hi Jeff_RNL,

This course you will access all of the programs and the data through the VLE (Virtual Lab Environment). Once in the VLE, you find the D drive via Window Explorer. For details about reserving you VLE, please see Reserving Software Lab Time on the community home page.

For your second question, the way most students work is that they will follow a chapter or two, all the way through, and then, they will make a reservation in the Virtual Lab to work on the exercises for those two chapters. As an example, let's say you start working on a course at 8 am and by 8:45, you are most of the way through Chapter 1 and realize that you'll be ready to practice by 9:30. Since it takes approximately 30-45 minutes to start the Amazon image, then, at 8:45, you request a reservation and while you wait for the reservation to be ready, you finish listening to Chapter 1 and get through Chapter 2. So, by 9:30, when you get the notice that your reservation is ready, you click to switch to the Amazon image and start working. Let's say you take 1.5 hours to work on the exercises, but you made a 3 hour reservation. You should not let the reservation "burn down" while you continue listening to new chapters. Instead, you should cancel the reservation and save your image so that you get the unused 1.5 hours returned back to your allotted time.

I hope this helps.

theresa