BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sturaga86
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

In of the slides i saw that Technical skills for Data science I saw that along with programming it says data base adminstration.So i should learn about database administration or it's just good to have skill?

5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
If you look here: https://www.sas.com/en_us/training/academy-data-science/data-science-certification.html it says:
"To enroll in the program, you need at least six months of programming experience in SAS or another programming language. We also recommend that you have at least six months of experience using mathematics and/or statistics in a business environment."

A DBA probably does have 6 months of experience using mathematics or statistics in a business environment.

In the past, our SAS Academy instructors have indicated that the SAS Academy for Data Science, especially the Advanced Analytics Professional level is best suited for those with a strong background in applied mathematics (to the level of Calculus 2 and Linear Algebra). A master’s degree or higher in a quantitative or technical field is recommended, but not required.

If you have current experience in a business environment as a DBA, that would be sufficient business experience. You do not need to learn about database administration. Having programming experience and math/stat background would be good. If you are completely new to SAS, we recommend some experience with SAS programming skills before you start.

To read some more information and interviews with Data Scientists, working in the field, to get an idea of the type of work they do and the type of experience they have, please refer to these web sites:
http://www.sas.com/en_us/insights/analytics/what-is-a-data-scientist.html
https://www.sas.com/en_us/insights/articles/analytics/tracking-down-answers-to-your-questions-about-...

cynthia
Sturaga86
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @Cynthia_sas currently i work as an Sr analyst and i have been programming in SAS for past 6 years. I was just curious if i need to learn about Database administration as i saw in the technical skill set.

I was just trying to know if it's good to have skill or must have skill

Reeza
Super User

You need the basics as a must, to me that would mean:

1. Know how to connect to several different databases

2. Understand the concept that there's not a single version of SQL

3. Basic relational concepts to pull data

You probably don't need to know how to:

deploy and install a server

include auditing trails

Tune a server for better performance

However, you will likely need to understand the general concepts so that you can communicate clearly with DBA's. 

@Sturaga86 wrote:

Hi @Cynthia_sas currently i work as an Sr analyst and i have been programming in SAS for past 6 years. I was just curious if i need to learn about Database administration as i saw in the technical skill set.

I was just trying to know if it's good to have skill or must have skill

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I'm not sure where you saw information about being a data base administrator. Basically, what @Reeza suggests is a good idea. We teach these concepts in Programming 1 and SQL1 (connecting to databases and different forms of SQL) and then Programming 2 and Macro Language 1 are recommended for data manipulation and automating code purposes. If you have 6 years of SAS experience and any kind of math/stat background, you should be OK. In the Big Data Professional part of the program, we teach you more about connecting SAS to Hadoop for accessing and working with big data files.

Cynthia
Sturaga86
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks !! I saw it one of the presentation slides may be i misunderstood it