BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
eddieray01
Fluorite | Level 6
When determining Effect of Factor B on Factor A. Let's say B level 1: is 5 at A level 1 and 9 at A level 2. B at Level 2: is 6 at A level 1 and 10 at A level 2. 1) Assume based on my understanding effect is 7
at B1 minus 8 at B2 = -1? Is that correct it is the difference of marginal means for B1 and B2. Or should this calculation always be largest value minus lower value so B2 minus B1=1? Wanted to clarify if calculating correctly and if order is important since it can change sign on result.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@eddieray01 wrote:
I think you answered with the unit increase re B of 1 and unit increase of 4 for A. Assuming the unit increase always expressed as a positive number?

Not always expressed as a positive number. It depends on how B1 and B2 are defined, and what comparison you want to make.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@eddieray01 wrote:
When determining Effect of Factor B on Factor A. Let's say B level 1: is 5 at A level 1 and 9 at A level 2. B at Level 2: is 6 at A level 1 and 10 at A level 2. 1) Assume based on my understanding effect is 7
at B1 minus 8 at B2 = -1? Is that correct it is the difference of marginal means for B1 and B2. Or should this calculation always be largest value minus lower value so B2 minus B1=1? Wanted to clarify if calculating correctly and if order is important since it can change sign on result.

This is difficult to understand as written.

May I suggest you present the data as a simple table, showing clearly the levels of A and B and the result, something like this (obviously this is made-up data)

A    B   Y
1    1   3
1    2   7
2    1   11
etc.

and then state your question clearly.

Thanks!

--
Paige Miller
eddieray01
Fluorite | Level 6
      A1 A2
B1  5    9
B2  6  10

I'm using 1 and 2 as levels for each factor this could be + -
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@eddieray01 wrote:
      A1 A2
B1  5    9
B2  6  10

I'm using 1 and 2 as levels for each factor this could be + -

And so what is the question you are asking?

--
Paige Miller
eddieray01
Fluorite | Level 6
Would the effect of B on A be the marginal mean of row 1 minus row 2?  The values in the 2x2 table cells are the result Y for the combinations. 
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

In the language of statistics that I am used to using, the phrase "effect of B on A" does not exist and does not make sense to me. There is an effect of B on Y, where going from B1 to B2 yields an average 1 unit increase. There is also an effect of A on Y, where going from A1 to A2 produces an average of a 4 unit increase. There is also an interaction between A and B on Y, which is zero for this data. There is also an effect of B on Y, while holding A to be fixed at 1, and so on.

So I do not understand what you want from the question "effect of B on A".

--
Paige Miller
eddieray01
Fluorite | Level 6
Sorry effect of B on the mean of the response. So with this data B+ rows Minus B- rows.  Would it not be subtracting the marginal means?
eddieray01
Fluorite | Level 6
I think you answered with the unit increase re B of 1 and unit increase of 4 for A. Assuming the unit increase always expressed as a positive number?
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@eddieray01 wrote:

Not always expressed as a positive number. It depends on how B1 and B2 are defined, and what comparison you want to make.

--
Paige Miller

This is a knowledge-sharing community for learners in the Academy. Find answers to your questions or post here for a reply.
To ensure your success, use these getting-started resources:

Estimating Your Study Time
Reserving Software Lab Time
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Troubleshooting Your SAS-Hadoop Training Environment

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation