BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pvareschi
Quartz | Level 8

Re: Predicting Analytics on Big Data

What is the difference between a Frequency and a Weight variable? (see page 4.5-4.6 of the course text)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

Both would get you the same parameter estimator, but Freq would have less confident interval, Weight would be bigger. In other words Freq would get you more accurate parameter estimator / better model.

@Rick_SAS  wrote a blog about it a couple of years ago .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14
Hi @pvareschi
A WEIGTH statement can Ne used when you already have frequencies in your dataset (in a PROC FREQ for instance).
However, the main difference in my opinion is that the value of the WEIGHT variable is not required to be an integer.
Hope this helps!
Best,
pvareschi
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you for your comments; I also wonder whethe the two variables may fulfil a different roles, in terms of their effect on a fitted model...or, at least, that seems to be the case from the wording in the course text, although I cannot understand how that is applied in practice.

Ksharp
Super User

Both would get you the same parameter estimator, but Freq would have less confident interval, Weight would be bigger. In other words Freq would get you more accurate parameter estimator / better model.

@Rick_SAS  wrote a blog about it a couple of years ago .

This is a knowledge-sharing community for learners in the Academy. Find answers to your questions or post here for a reply.
To ensure your success, use these getting-started resources:

Estimating Your Study Time
Reserving Software Lab Time
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Troubleshooting Your SAS-Hadoop Training Environment

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation