BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
cosmid
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

Can someone please tell me where the course is for the Programming 1 and 2 Forum? Is it a book or web based? How much does it cost? This looks like a pretty good place for me to start SAS programming again. Thanks in advance!

I will also delete this post as soon as I get the link or info since this post isn't related to the programming course.

Thanks again!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Panagiotis
SAS Employee

Cost varies depending on how you want to take it. SAS offers in person training, self paced e-learning, live web instructor training and a connected classroom that has both in person students and online students.

The SAS Programming 1 self paced e-learning course is free if you want to get started. You can always take one of the other options later on.

You can find the SAS Programming 1 and 2 courses here: http://support.sas.com/training/us/paths/prg.html

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

- Peter

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Panagiotis
SAS Employee

Cost varies depending on how you want to take it. SAS offers in person training, self paced e-learning, live web instructor training and a connected classroom that has both in person students and online students.

The SAS Programming 1 self paced e-learning course is free if you want to get started. You can always take one of the other options later on.

You can find the SAS Programming 1 and 2 courses here: http://support.sas.com/training/us/paths/prg.html

Please feel free to let us know if you have any other questions.

- Peter

Reeza
Super User

It's fine to leave the question up, odds are someone else will have the same question. SAS has an e-learning platform and the course is delivered via their e-learning options. 

Additionally, if you prefer a different type of interface, there's a course on Coursera as well. 

@cosmid wrote:

Hi,

Can someone please tell me where the course is for the Programming 1 and 2 Forum? Is it a book or web based? How much does it cost? This looks like a pretty good place for me to start SAS programming again. Thanks in advance!

I will also delete this post as soon as I get the link or info since this post isn't related to the programming course.

Thanks again!

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@Reeza  should we also recommend books?

Starting with Rob cody's 

Or perhaps courses are more comprehensive?

I personally love the examples 

Reeza
Super User
I'd probably recommend the courses and then tackling the book, because then I think you have a better understanding. You're a more recent learner though, so your opinion is probably more valid than mine here!
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

I agree

PremS
Obsidian | Level 7

If you're a statistician/analyst or if you are an R programmer, there are a couple of other free e-learnings you may be interested in: Statistics 1 and SAS Programming for R Users. Even then, the free Programming 1 e-learning is the best place to start to get a ground-up refresher.

You can check out the free e-learning offerings here.

Panagiotis
SAS Employee

I agree with @Reezato take a course or two to start with. The programming 1 e-learning course is free and will give you a nice starting point or you could look at the Specialization on Coursera as Reeza mentioned.

Few books that might help you:

- The Little SAS Book

- Learning SAS by Example

cosmid
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I just bought the Little SAS Book and SAS by Examples, also signed up for the e-learning course.

Another quick question, I just realized there's a SAS Enterprise Guide. Is that just a better editor? I have been using the SAS 9.4, I think it's also called the SAS Base? It's the blue square with SAS written at the upper half. Should I start switch to programming in SAS Enterprise Guide and get use it? Or there's no big difference? Thanks in advance!

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Honestly, an editor is an editor. I have typed code in Notepad and submitted it on a command line. Enterprise Guide is typically used at the corporate level when SAS is on a server and there are hundreds of users needing to access SAS and perform tasks. Enterprise Guide is a corporate level purchase or available with a single-user copy of SAS in a local installation. We do not offer a free student version of Enterprise Guide. Most of the Enterprise Guide users are getting access to the product through work or school.

Code is code. Learn one editor well, learn how to write SAS code. What you need to take Programming 1 is access to SAS with an editor window, a log window and a Results window. Don't focus on the interface. Focus on the code and the syntax and the underlying concepts of programming.

Cynthia
Panagiotis
SAS Employee

I agree with @Cynthia_sas.

Learn the code. Once you know that you can use any editor.

cosmid
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you both for the input!!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
LIBNAME 101

Follow along as SAS technical trainer Dominique Weatherspoon expertly answers all your questions about SAS Libraries.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 12 likes
  • 6 in conversation