BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
lietchi
Fluorite | Level 6

In lesson 1, they ask us to "Open p101a03.sas from the activities folder and perform the following tasks".

When executing the 4th task (running the program), I get several error messages.

error SAS.JPG

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem?

FYI, I'm using SAS Entreprise Guide version 7.13. I watched the video on how to do the data setup, I think I did everything right.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PremS
Obsidian | Level 7

Yeah, it looks like there's an issue with the table in the library.  Most SAS users don't have the appropriate permissions to edit files in the SASHELP library, but somehow that table was overwritten.  Hopefully someone else has some insight on this.

The activity you ran should have worked fine, so you can take comfort that you did nothing wrong.  There are some activities or videos in the class that use the CARS, CLASS, or SHOES tables in the SASHELP library.  Are the CLASS or SHOES tables empty as well?

Almost all of the activities, demonstrations, and practices use the international storm data, so I wouldn't worry too much if you wanted to look at - but not run - the handful of activities that use the CARS table.  In Chapter 1, these tables are used to showcase introductory concepts and syntax in a few activities.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PremS
Obsidian | Level 7

Hmm, that is peculiar, I don't see why it didn't work for you.

If you open the SASHELP.CARS table (looks like it's already opened in the Class_Work process flow in the top left), do you see any rows of data?  Could you include a photo of the rows of data in the table?

lietchi
Fluorite | Level 6

I hope I'm looking in the right place, but the table looks very empty!

SAS cars.JPG

Could the issue be in the SASHELP library itself?

PremS
Obsidian | Level 7

Yeah, it looks like there's an issue with the table in the library.  Most SAS users don't have the appropriate permissions to edit files in the SASHELP library, but somehow that table was overwritten.  Hopefully someone else has some insight on this.

The activity you ran should have worked fine, so you can take comfort that you did nothing wrong.  There are some activities or videos in the class that use the CARS, CLASS, or SHOES tables in the SASHELP library.  Are the CLASS or SHOES tables empty as well?

Almost all of the activities, demonstrations, and practices use the international storm data, so I wouldn't worry too much if you wanted to look at - but not run - the handful of activities that use the CARS table.  In Chapter 1, these tables are used to showcase introductory concepts and syntax in a few activities.

lietchi
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the clarification, being a total newbie I had no idea if I had done something wrong or not!

I checked and the CLASS and SHOES tables seem fine. I'll improvise my way around the CARS table Smiley Happy

Reeza
Super User
Is that the first error in the program? If not, show the first error.

Also, you can check if cars exist using:

proc content data=sashelp.cars;run;
ballardw
Super User

There is a big clue in the note about 0 observations in the SASHELP.CARS . That means for some reason the data set apparently has had all of the observations removed somehow on your install and possibly most of the variables.

lietchi
Fluorite | Level 6

I spoke to the SAS reference person in our organisation and apparently someone accidentally deleted almost all of the contents of the CARS table on our server.

Reeza
Super User

Fun, but relatively easy to fix at least. 

@lietchi wrote:

I spoke to the SAS reference person in our organisation and apparently someone accidentally deleted almost all of the contents of the CARS table on our server.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
LIBNAME 101

Follow along as SAS technical trainer Dominique Weatherspoon expertly answers all your questions about SAS Libraries.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation