BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MohabAli
Fluorite | Level 6

I am practicing on SAS studio 3.81. On the abovementioned lesson when I try to run proc print data=pg1.storm_summary, I get an error message :file pg1.storm_summary.data does not exist. I had an issue that may be related when going through storm.sas7bat in lesson, I didn't find in the designated folder and I am not sure if this is related. Please advice and thank you.

Mohab 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

SAS University Edition was retired effective August 2, 2021 and so anyone who is still trying to run University Edition should receive a message that the product is no longer active.

My guess is that you are either using your own work access or school access to SAS Studio or you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics. You can tell whether you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics by clicking to show the Server Files and Folders pane on the left. Your screen will have 3 clues that you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics (as I've highlighted below):

Cynthia_sas_0-1629416713081.png

#1 clue -- the URL at the top of the screen starts with ODA; #2 clue -- the top node in the Server Files and Folders pane starts with ODA; and #3, your top folder says Files (Home).

And, as far as defining a library to point to the PG1 library. you can ALWAYS find the correct path by doing this:

Cynthia_sas_0-1629420785948.png

Then the Location field in the Properties window will ALWAYS show you the full path to your EGP1V2/data folder:

Cynthia_sas_2-1629420177678.png

You can see that if you are going to use the FULL path, you need to copy exactly what you see in the Location field. Where I have the string yourUserID, you'll see an ID like u1234567 or joestudent0. You can use a tilde (~) as part of your path, if and only if you place your EPG1V2 folder under the Files (Home) location.

However, this method of finding the Location properties for any of your files and folders is the best way to get the correct path.

We put "placeholder" paths in our code. Sometimes the code will show s:\workshop as a placeholder, sometimes the code will show the string FILEPATH. You must ALWAYS change these placeholders to your path location on your account or else you will always get "physical file not found" messages or "library not assigned" messages.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
MohabAli
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for your response. Yes. I assume I passed that step which is before Lesson 1, course overview and data setup. When I go to the page you linked I select the folder EPG1V2 which is the one I am working on, I get access denied. Is there an option that I can restore the data setup or reset it? Thanks again! 

SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ
Where and what version of SAS are you running?
Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
MohabAli
Fluorite | Level 6

I restarted the whole training and still I ma facing issues with lesson 3. When I try to create PG1.STORM_SUMMARY.DATA , the log gives me this message

ERROR: File PG1.STORM_SUMMARY.DATA does not exist. Note that I did the Lesson 2 required step for creating libname.sas. I am using SAS studio 3.81.

Please advise and thanks in advance.

Mohab 

SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

Once again, what version of SAS are you using? Are you working with SAS at work? Or SAS University Edtion? Or SAS On-Demand for Academics?

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
MohabAli
Fluorite | Level 6

I am using SAS Studio 3.81 and SAS 9.4 I am not sure whether it's a SAS University or on-demand how can I check that and @SASJedi  thank you for your response.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

SAS University Edition was retired effective August 2, 2021 and so anyone who is still trying to run University Edition should receive a message that the product is no longer active.

My guess is that you are either using your own work access or school access to SAS Studio or you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics. You can tell whether you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics by clicking to show the Server Files and Folders pane on the left. Your screen will have 3 clues that you are using SAS OnDemand for Academics (as I've highlighted below):

Cynthia_sas_0-1629416713081.png

#1 clue -- the URL at the top of the screen starts with ODA; #2 clue -- the top node in the Server Files and Folders pane starts with ODA; and #3, your top folder says Files (Home).

And, as far as defining a library to point to the PG1 library. you can ALWAYS find the correct path by doing this:

Cynthia_sas_0-1629420785948.png

Then the Location field in the Properties window will ALWAYS show you the full path to your EGP1V2/data folder:

Cynthia_sas_2-1629420177678.png

You can see that if you are going to use the FULL path, you need to copy exactly what you see in the Location field. Where I have the string yourUserID, you'll see an ID like u1234567 or joestudent0. You can use a tilde (~) as part of your path, if and only if you place your EPG1V2 folder under the Files (Home) location.

However, this method of finding the Location properties for any of your files and folders is the best way to get the correct path.

We put "placeholder" paths in our code. Sometimes the code will show s:\workshop as a placeholder, sometimes the code will show the string FILEPATH. You must ALWAYS change these placeholders to your path location on your account or else you will always get "physical file not found" messages or "library not assigned" messages.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

LIBNAME 101

Follow along as SAS technical trainer Dominique Weatherspoon expertly answers all your questions about SAS Libraries.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation