BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
raveena
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi,

Currently I need to calculate the change to the report by using a current count and previous count. My concern is if the prior count is ‘0’ then we can’t divide it, in that case I would like to give a condition if prior count is zero then the change should be appear as ‘100’ in the report.
I applied condition to the code as below,

Compute change;
if _freq_p.sum='0' then change='100';
else
change=(_freq_.sum -_freq_p.sum)/_freq_p.sum;
Endcomp;

But I am not getting any result, what am looking for..

Please let me know the mistakes that I have done ..

Original code
Proc report data=rpt1_compare ls=256 headline headskip split='*' nowd;
Column _freq_ _freq_p change change5;

Define _freq_/sum "CURRENT COUNT &date" width=20format=comma10. Spacing=1;
Define _freq_p/sum "PRIOR COUNT &date_p" width=20format=comma10. Spacing=1;
Define change/computed 'CHANGE %' width=12 format=percent8.2 spacing=1;

Compute change;
Change= (_freq_.sum -_freq_p.sum)/_freq_p.sum;
Endcomp;

Define change5/display 'SIGNIFICANT CHANGE >= 5%' width=20 format=$1. Spacing=1;

run;
\
Thanks in Advance
1 REPLY 1
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I cannot think of any situation where varname.sum would be a character value, as you indicate by '0' in your comparison.
[pre]
if _freq_p.sum='0' then change='100';
[/pre]

I suspect that your IF test is failing. _FREQ_P should be a numeric, analysis variable if you are getting a SUM statistic for it. Therefore, there is a difference between 0 (the number) and '0' (a text character that happens to be 0). You might as well code:
[pre]
if _freq_p.sum='Z' then change='100';
[/pre]

Also, if you expect CHANGE to be a numeric variable, then I would expect the change='100' to be causing some automatic conversion messages. If you want CHANGE to be a character variable, then you would have to alter your COMPUTE block to:
[pre]
Compute change / character length=5;
. . . more code . . .
Endcomp;
[/pre]

The DIVIDE function allows you to divide and if the denominator is 0, the DIVIDE function was invented so you would not get the divide by zero error messages.

I suspect that just a little more cleanup will have your program working.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation