BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I am building a report with more than 50000 rows of information in html format,my system hangs up.I have to put that data in html format only.
Does anybody has solution?
8 REPLIES 8
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
This question might better be answered by opening a track with Tech Support. They could find out what version of SAS you are using and what your ODS HTML statements look like, whether you're using a CSS file, what your configuration is, etc, etc.

For example, if you were using SAS 8 and ODS HTML, the HTML file created could be quite large, because HTML 3.2 tags with embedded style information are the default HTML created. If on the other hand you are using SAS 9 and ODS HTML, the HTML file created may be smaller because the style information is included in an in-line style section in the HTML.

Other factors that Tech Support can check -- does your system hang when SAS and ODS are creating the file or does your system hang when the browser tries to open the file. Complicating factors include: are you using SAS Enterprise Guide, are you using stored processes on the SAS Enterprise Intelligence Platform, etc.

To open a track with Tech Support, go to:
http://support.sas.com/ctx/supportform/createForm

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
we are using sas 9.1 and I am using sas base ,when i tested the program for 5000 observation program ran perfectly and output is generated in html using proc report.I have also tested to sent the output in excel proc export,It worked perfectly but when out put is produced as html file it took lot of time to open the file and when it opened my sas session hung up.
Is there any limit on the number of observations we can send to html output?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:

Comparing PROC EXPORT to ODS HTML is like comparing apples and oranges. PROC EXPORT creates a true binary .XLS file. ODS HTML creates an HTML ASCII text file that is meant to be opened in a browser. The binary file created by PROC EXPORT for Excel is usually smaller than an ODS HTML file created from a PROC PRINT or PROC REPORT of the same data because ODS HTML output files have color and font information and PROC EXPORT (binary Excel files) do NOT have color and font information for the data.

Some folks -do- use ODS HTML to make HTML files that can be opened in Excel. Since it is not clear whether you are using ODS HTML to make a file that can be opened in the browser or to make an HTML file that can be opened in Excel, it is really hard to answer your question. Usually, the limit on the number of observations you can send to an HTML file is based on your system limitations.

For example, if I run this program (which makes 57,000 obs), I can open the HTML file on my system and SAS does not hang. It could be because I have a huge hard drive on my system. The HTML file is 10,295 KB in size. The PROC EXPORT step, however, creates a binary .XLS file that is 5,216 KB in size.

I still think this is an issue for Tech Support -- there are too many different factors that could be causing your session of SAS to hang.

cynthia

[pre]
*** make some big data;
data bigclass;
set sashelp.class;
do grpvar = 1 to 3000 by 1;
output;
end;
run;

proc sort data=bigclass;
by grpvar name;
run;

ods listing close;

** Apples...10,295 KB in size for HTML file;
ods html file='c:\temp\bigclass.html' style=sasweb;

proc report data=bigclass nowd;
column grpvar name age height weight;
run;

ods html close;

** Oranges -- 5,216 KB in size for binary .xls file;
proc export data=work.bigclass
outfile= "c:\temp\bigclass_exp.xls"
dbms=excel replace;
sheet="mytable";
run;
[/pre]
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thanks Cynthia for your valuable input
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
File size is probably what your system struggles with.

With an html output, make sure you have as few (if any) class= or style= statements in your file. I don't think any ods style outputs raw html.

This quick and dirty routine outputs all variables in a (malformed) html file any browser can read. Size: 3,332 KB.

data _null_;
file 'f:\temp\test.htm';
set bigclass;
if _N_=1 then link firstrow;
put '' (_all_)('' : ) '';
return;
firstrow:
put '';
do while( __NAME__ ne '__NAME__' );
call vnext(__NAME__);
if __NAME__ ne '__NAME__' then put '' @;
else put '';
end;
run;
' __NAME__ '
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
STYLE=MINIMAL creates a small HTML file. In addition, the PHTML (plain HTML) destination only uses about 12 style elements and CHTML (compact HTML) destination only uses BOLD for the headers. So, if
[pre]
ODS HTML file='...' style=minimal
[/pre]

makes too big a file, then ODS PHTML or ODS HTML should make significantly smaller files.

cynthia
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
Unfortunately these do not create raw html files and insert style elements for every table cell.

ods html file='f:\temp\mini.htm' style=minimal;
proc print data= BIGCLASS noobs; run;
ods html close; ********* 10,491 kB;

ods phtml file='f:\temp\p.htm ;
ods phtml close; ********* 7,822 kB;

ods chtml file='f:\temp\c.htm' ;
ods chtml close; ********* 7,929 kB;
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi

I myself have built reports more than 50K rows.

I would suggest that change your preference settings.

Tools -> Options -> preference -> Results Tab

Configure the settings for HTML output etc try uncheck the "View results as they are generated". So SAS would not open the HTML file you generate and would not hang up.

Regards

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation