BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Saravanan
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi All,

I created RTF file with graph created from proc gchart and using the ODS RTF destination.

When I open the file, I`m able to see the graph in my system but when I send it to others, they were able to open the file but do not see the graph.

I tested it by sending the file to my colleagues who have SAS installed and who do not. Ones with SAS installed is able to open the RTF file and see its contents but the colleagues without SAS, just see a blank page.

I have no idea what`s going on here.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Saravanan

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

Try saving the RTF was a Doc or Docx extension Word document. I've had a variety of issues with RTF and that often helps.

For what it may be worth, I've had fewer of these kinds of issues with the SG procs.

Saravanan
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for the reply. I considered that option and user were able to see the charts.

But resaving it as .doc or .docx actually saves it as an uneditable image file. When SAS outputs it as RTF file, when I right click on the chart, I`m able to edit it.

This is the functionality I`m losing by resaving it as .doc or .docx. Is there any workaround where I can retain the editable functionality?

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

What type of graphic are you generating? Does SASEMF or EMF in RTF work for you, I can't recall if those are allowed options.

Saravanan
Fluorite | Level 6

I`m generating basic vertical bar chart. I did not specify any device= option. I just let SAS select the device appropriately. I believe SAS chooses SASEMF as default device for RTF output.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Partly, the creation of graphs will depend on whether you are using SAS/GRAPH and/or ODS GRAPHICS or whether you are using EG to generate SAS/GRAPH code and whether EG is choosing the default ACTIVEX device for graph output. For example, if you are in the scenario with EG and using the default ACTIVEX device, then you MUST have the ACTIVEX controls installed -before- you open the graph. So the behavior you describe (where you can open the graph, makes sense, because you probably have the ACTIVEX controls installed, but when you send the output to other folks, they might not have the ACTIVEX controls installed. Anyone without the ACTIVEX controls would not be able to see anything in the output file.

However, both SAS/GRAPH and ODS GRAPHICS have ways to change the default device -- SAS/GRAPH through a GOPTIONS statement (or in EG, through a drop down menu choice) and ODS GRAPHICS uses the IMAGEFMT= option on the ODS GRAPHICS statement. Without a more concrete description of how you are building the code, and WHAT the code is (SAS/GRAPH or ODS GRAPHICS) and what output format (PNG, ACTIVEX, GIF, JPEG, TIF, etc) you are choosing, it is hard to make more concrete suggestions.

Of course, one option for an immediate coding issue is to work with SAS Tech Support to help you figure out exactly how your code has to change so it produces the output you want.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation