BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
when i import data from excel using DDE, if there is a 'Alt Enter' key in the cells to set the value to two rows, SAS will not reading data correctly, is there any option to salve this problem?

Thank you !
3 REPLIES 3
deleted_user
Not applicable
replace that with plain text
As SAS infile processing separates lines before columns, the 'alt-enter' creates a real problem. It is easy enough in a one-off case to fix. Don't accept "data" delivered in this way with this "quality".

Good Luck
Peterc sorry about the premature submit, PeterC

Message was edited by: Peter_c
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you PeterC !
PROC IMPORT ignore 'Alt-enter', so I thought DDE could get over the problem, but it seems i was wrong .

thank you all the same
deleted_user
Not applicable
I can't find the Tech Support note now, but about two years ago SAS reported that importing Excel data that included cells with multiple lines of data could result in truncation of the cell data.

So I suggest you carefully check any data from cells of this type.

It's a reminder that Excel is a data presentation tool, and SAS is a data management and manipulation tool, and there are often disparities when you try to the two together.

I'm surprised that DDE has a problem. If I have the time I'll look at reading the Excel data through DDE in bytes. If that's possible then that should distinguish the internal carriage returns from the cell boundaries.

Kind regards

David

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation