BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
_LB
Fluorite | Level 6 _LB
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi all. Happy holidays to all.
I am using ODS & SGPLOT to export various graphs. However, they are coming out a little fuzzy. Does anyone else have issues with this. Are there better ways to produce graphs.

Part of my code is below as to the ODS statements. Any asistance would be greatly appreciated.

Lawrence

ods listing GPATH='\\A:';
ODS GRAPHICS ON /IMAGEFMT=BMP ANTIALIAS=ON HEIGHt=2.75in width=5in SCALE=ON IMAGENAME="OverallCRBSI" BORDER=NO image_dpi=300;
proc sgplot data=X;

code ...
7 REPLIES 7
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I'm not sure what you mean by "coming out fuzzy" - -when you view them on the screen? or when you cut and paste them into some other document?

I'd be tempted to try PNG, as described here:
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/grstatproc/60786/HTML/default/a003127724.htm#a003150209

Or, if you mean that the graphs are fuzzy when they print, I would use standard ODS HTML, RTF or PDF "sandwich" syntax around the SGPLOT instead of ODS LISTING. I only use ODS LISTING for debugging and testing my statements and code. For anything "final", I end up using ODS HTML or ODS RTF (mostly) and sometimes ODS PDF.
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/grstatproc/60786/HTML/default/a003106589.htm

Anyway, just some ideas.
cynthia
_LB
Fluorite | Level 6 _LB
Fluorite | Level 6
They are fuzzy in print. I will take a stab at your suggestions.
Thanks.
Lawrence
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, Lawrence:
This Tech Support note http://support.sas.com/kb/32/993.html
talks about how the LISTING dest should be turned off when creating ODS GRAPHICS ON/OFF type of output. Since the new SG procedures are a different part of the overall ODS GRAPHICS framework, I have followed this syntax recommendation for the new SG procedures, as well. (That's why I said I only use LISTING with the SG procedures to test my code.)

cynthia
_LB
Fluorite | Level 6 _LB
Fluorite | Level 6
Cynthia;
Whether I turn the listing on or off seems to make little impact on the graphics output. They look fine onscreen, just not in print!

In addition, I do not wish to make HTML or RTF files in the process as this takes up even more processor & computer space.

Essentially I am outputting multiple files that eventually will be used in a PROC REPORT statement.

I can see from from examples from SAS and others the output. Unfortunately I do not find it "crisp" such as a graph from Excel.

I did send off some files to SAS tech support so perhaps they can have a better look at what is going on. I'll be honest and state that I am new to graphing (in SAS) and a little overwhelmed by all the possibilities!

Once again, thank you!
Lawrence
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Lawrence:
Sending your question to Tech Support was a good idea. I think the "crisp" issue will eventually come down to the IMAGEFMT= option -- although depending on whether it's the lines that are fuzzy or the fonts that are fuzzy, it could be a font issue, as well.

I would not have chosen BMP as the image format because I thought the only thing that BMP was good for was to save images from Microsoft Paint. But I see from this article, http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photography/articles/10036.aspx that it seems to still be used for photo quality images -- albeit with a larger file size than some other formats.

cynthia
_LB
Fluorite | Level 6 _LB
Fluorite | Level 6
Cynthia;
I have been experiementating with both font types & and the image formats.
If I build a new proc template and apply differnt fonts such as garamond and arial there is some improvement.

As to the image types, BMP does work as does the PNG files. TIFF is rendered even fuzzier although it should be the opposite. JPG also does not work well as SAS renders the image high contrast that causes a "halo".

Will continue to work with SAS tech support on the issue.
Thanks again for all your coding help and article links.

Lawrence
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ
I noticed from your original post that you have the IMAGE_DPI on the ODS GRAPHICS statement. That option should be used on your ODS LISTING statement. Try that and see if it makes a difference.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation