BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DianeAnna
Calcite | Level 5

I have two separate fields - one a date and one a time - that I need to concatenate together into one long datetime field.

Date field is a numeric field, currently in the YYYY-MM-DD format (2014-07-24 for example) and the time field is numeric in the HH:MM:SS format (9:23:00 or 11:35:00 for example - the leading 0 is not there for half of the time).

I need to get these two separate fields into a format that looks like:  01NOV13:09:23:00 - the date has a length of 7, the time has a length of 8 and there is a colon between them.

I tried formatting both fields, then concatenating, then formatting the concatenated field, and no such luck.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Since your date and time are numeric, another option is to use DHMS function.

newdtm=dhms(date, 0,0,time);
Haikuo

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Hi,

attrib newdate format=datetime15.;

newdate=input(put(date,date7.)||put(time,hhmmss.),datetime.);

DianeAnna
Calcite | Level 5

Great - that worked, except that SAS couldn't find the hhmmss format - I changed it to hhmm8. and then it worked like a charm.

I didn't even think about the attrib - have rarely used it.

Thanks!

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

Since your date and time are numeric, another option is to use DHMS function.

newdtm=dhms(date, 0,0,time);
Haikuo

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation