BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
xiangpang
Quartz | Level 8
data eq;
input ID y x z w;
cards;
1 1 27 40 8
1 0 . 29 37
1 1 30 . 25
1 1 38 38 23
2 1 23 45 19
2 0 32 20 .
2 1 67 . .
2 1 . 27 .
3 0 33 23 46
3 1 21 12 56
3 0 78 . 34
3 1 13 45 . 
4 1 56 45 23
4 0 67 13 67  
4 0 . 35 13
4 1 48 35 56 
;
run;

proc freq data=eq;
tables id;
where z ne . ;
ods output CrossTabFreqs=CrossTabFreqs;
run;

Hello,

When I am trying to output the CrossTabFreqs. I could get a table but no output dataset is created. and I got the following message.

WARNING: Output 'CrossTabFreqs' was not created. Make sure that the output object name, label, or
path is spelled correctly. Also, verify that the appropriate procedure options are used
to produce the requested output object. For example, verify that the NOPRINT option is
not used.

Anyone could help me solve this problem? Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

For a single variable this is not a cross tab. This will be a frequency distribution of the variable id. Try this to get the freq distribution of variable id in a data set.

proc freq data=eq;
tables id;
where z ne . ;
ods output OneWayFreqs=OneWayFreqs;
run;

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi,

This is because your proc freq syntax is not creating a cross tab. In order to get a cross tabulation in a data set then you have to generate a cross tab. Please try this to see the output data set

proc freq data=eq;
tables id*y;
where z ne . ;
ods output CrossTabFreqs=CrossTabFreqs;
run;

proc print data = CrossTabFreqs;

run;

xiangpang
Quartz | Level 8

thanks for your reply. I know it works if I use table ID*y . but what if I want to generate  a cross tab just for ID?

stat_sas
Ammonite | Level 13

For a single variable this is not a cross tab. This will be a frequency distribution of the variable id. Try this to get the freq distribution of variable id in a data set.

proc freq data=eq;
tables id;
where z ne . ;
ods output OneWayFreqs=OneWayFreqs;
run;

xiangpang
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you very much. That is what I want, but I don't know how to describe it. I think the following code is for frequency distribution. But it  is not what I want.

proc freq data=eq;
tables id/out=e1;
where z ne . ;
run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

A CrossTab is the tabulation of the cross between TWO variables.

You can't have a crosstab with only one variable, it doesn't make any sense.

If you want to see that ODS outputs are being generated by a particular piece of code you can use the ODS TRACE command.

But if you just want to get output from PROC FREQ there is no need to resort to ODS outputs. Just use the OUT= option on the TABLES statement.

xiangpang
Quartz | Level 8
thanks, "ods output OneWayFreqs=OneWayFreqs;" is what I want

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation