BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MCB1
Fluorite | Level 6

I need to export a simple SAS table to Excel and later on import it back to SAS. I need to do it multiple times (several years). The result expected is 4 Excel files and 4 SAS files. The macro is not working well in creating the Excel files.

best regard

MCB1 

My code:

%macro bilar(ar);

ODS excel FILE='\\micro.intra\projekt\P0069_ESV$\Marcela\Bilar\OUTPUT\BESK_BILARX&ar.XLSX';

PROC FREQ DATA=G.BILAR&ar ;

TABLES BILMODELL*BESKRIVNING*PRIS/LIST MISSING ;

RUN;

ODS EXCEL CLOSE;

PROC IMPORT OUT= BESK_MODELLER&ar

DATAFILE= "\\micro.intra\Projekt\P0069_ESV$\Marcela\Bilar\OUTPUT\BESK_BILAR2X&ar.XLSX"

DBMS=EXCEL REPLACE;

RANGE="'Freq 1 - LIST Frequencies$'";

GETNAMES=YES;

MIXED=NO;

SCANTEXT=YES;

USEDATE=YES;

SCANTIME=YES;

RUN;

%mend;

%bilar(2016)

%bilar(2017)

%bilar(2018)

%bilar(2019);

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Macro variables will not resolve inside single quotes.  Change them to double quotes in the ODS statement:

ODS excel FILE="\\micro.intra\projekt\P0069_ESV$\Marcela\Bilar\OUTPUT\BESK_BILARX&ar.XLSX";

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
CurtisMackWSIPP
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Macro variables will not resolve inside single quotes.  Change them to double quotes in the ODS statement:

ODS excel FILE="\\micro.intra\projekt\P0069_ESV$\Marcela\Bilar\OUTPUT\BESK_BILARX&ar.XLSX";

ballardw
Super User

@CurtisMackWSIPP wrote:

And since the dot character is the macro language concatenation symbol you will need two .. before the extension.

ODS excel FILE="\\micro.intra\projekt\P0069_ESV$\Marcela\Bilar\OUTPUT\BESK_BILARX&ar..XLSX";
MCB1
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks! this works very well!
MCB1
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you! I will try it!

Quentin
Super User

Hi,

It looks like your goal is to get the output from PROC FREQ into a SAS dataset, is that right?

You shouldn't have to write to Excel and read it back in, to do that.  In general, I tried to avoid Excel whenever possible. : )

You should be able to use the output delivery system (ODS) to write SAS data sets directly, e.g.:

ods output list=mylist ;
proc freq data=sashelp.prdsale ;
  tables region*division*product*prodtype /missing list;
run ;
ods output close ;

proc print data=mylist ;
run ;

If you keep it all in SAS, you don't need to worry about losing precision, or having problems with SAS or Excel making bad guesses as to variable types.  ODS gives you a way to create datasets with the same information you see in the SAS output.

The scariest comment I ever saw in some code was "At this point, I exported the data into Excel and then made some fixes and read it back into SAS."

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
MCB1
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you Quentin! I try to avoid Excel as well. In this case I needed to create 2 variables based on information from a description (multiple strings). In my example the column "beskrivning". In Excel I can look for this particular information and create the variables in a very simple way by writing the Word or words I am looking for using the filter and later on importing it back to SAS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation