BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Is there a way to define a format that keeps a variable as numeric type but displays a character string much like the dollarw.d or percentw.d format?

For example, if the value stored is "1234.56" but is linked to format dollar7.2, then the value will appear as "$1,234.56" (technically a character string due to '$' and ',' but still numeric).  Or if the value stored is "0.1234" and is linked to format percent9.1, then the value will appear as "12.3%" (technically a character string due to '%' but still numeric).

Now, if I have a numeric valued stored as "1.23" with a user-defined format, can I make it appear as "1.23 mg/m2" and still retain the numeric properties?  I used to create a character variable by using:  charvar=compress(numvar) || ' mg/m2'; but I  want to retain the properties of a numeric variable so I can sort numerically and/or summarize the data while automatically displaying any units that should be attached.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
art297
Opal | Level 21

You could always create a picture format.  Take a look at: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/243-31.pdf

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
art297
Opal | Level 21

You could always create a picture format.  Take a look at: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/243-31.pdf

djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I knew there would be something simple in PROC FORMAT, but I wasn't finding it.  This did the trick.  Thanks!

ballardw
Super User

Picture formats let you do such things as add suffix or prefixes to numbers using a combination of digit selectors and directives. The example below comes close. Use of 'mg/m2' treats the 2 as a digit selector and replaces the 2 with a 0, or possibly another digit depending on range of the numeric involved.

proc format library=work;

picture mg

low-high = '000009.99 mg/msq';

run;

data _null_;

x=1.23;

put x mg.;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation