BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi,I want to know where I can find the amount of memory which is used by my sas program to run
3 REPLIES 3
deleted_user
Not applicable
Try the FULLSTIMER and STIMER options. Good chance what they report is OS dependant.

The following is from the online manual:

Interpreting FULLSTIMER and STIMER Statistics

Several types of resource usage statistics are reported by the STIMER and FULLSTIMER options, including real time (elapsed time) and CPU time. Real time represents the clock time it took to execute a job or step; it is heavily dependent on the capacity of the system and the current load. As more users share a particular resource, less of that resource is available to you. CPU time represents the actual processing time required by the CPU to execute the job, exclusive of capacity and load factors. If you must wait longer for a resource, your CPU time will not increase, but your real time will increase. It is not advisable to use real time as the only criterion for the efficiency of your program because you cannot always control the capacity and load demands on your system. A more accurate assessment of system performance is CPU time, which decreases more predictably as you modify your program to become more efficient.

The statistics reported by FULLSTIMER relate to the three critical computer resources: I/O, memory, and CPU time. Under many circumstances, reducing the use of any of these three resources usually results in better throughput of a particular job and a reduction of real time used. However, there are exceptions, as described in the following sections.
deleted_user
Not applicable
I need a vacation. That's the second time this week I misread the question.

The memory question is a lot more complex and definately OS dependant.
There is an option called MEMSIZE which you might be able to see by running a proc options and looking at it. It doesn't set how much memory you use., rather it set an upper limit. In addition to it there are (were) a bunch of other parameters that set aside memory for things such as out of resources etc.

Then you may have threads enabled which are sort of like virtual particles - they come into the world, use a little memory, do a little something, then go away - all within a moment of uncertainty.
deleted_user
Not applicable
If you start Task Manager, which you can do by starting the application TASKMGR.EXE from the Windows\System32 directory, you can see your running processes. You can also start task manager by using Ctrl-Alt-Delete and selecting Task Manager.

Select "View" from the P Menu, and then "Select Memory..." from the drop down to get a menu for additional measures to add.

Peak memory usage will show the maximum memory used by the application, and probably answer the current question, Memory usage, Page faults and Paged pool are also measures I use to verify memory performance of an application. A quick search on the InterWebernet using your favourite search engine will turn up multiple articles discussing the nature and interpretation of these measures.

I find that the first question usually leads to a few more, so adding additional measures from the beginning will capture statistics that some useful articles will put in context for you. Being OS specific, they are outside the scope of this forum.

Kind regards

David

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation