BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Siddhartha
Calcite | Level 5
In a database called eTrack for the clinical study the last name has been entered as:
last name = Castaño
last name = Peña

However, when i extract the dataset the name outputs as 'Casta?o' and 'Pe?a' in the sas dataset.
3 REPLIES 3
deleted_user
Not applicable
The use of a tilde as a diacritical is most often seen in Spanish, and these names seem to have a Spanish origin. Unfortunately, when it was first developed, the IBM standard character set did not include many of the accents used in other languages, and it is only the extended character sets where you will find these available for users.

Word generally renders the extended character sets correctly, but a lot of simpler packages do not. I have no idea where you "extract the dataset" to, but I suspect it is a limitation of that package, and not of SAS.

If the issue is with SAS then look at the National Language setting of your SAS session.

Kind regards

David
vicky26s
Calcite | Level 5
Hi All
I have problem when i want to insert word 2003 symbols to SAS, then it shows ? in the SAS. Any idea?
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
SAS support website reference for National Language Support or NLS:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/nls/

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation