BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
It would be better to start a new post than to tack a question onto a very different posting.

The bad news is that there is no option to do what you ask.

ODS TAGSETS.EXCELXP does not write to an existing Excel template (.xlt) file. Every time you run TAGSETS.EXCELXP, it creates a new, complete workbook. TAGSETS.EXCELXP will not add to an existing workbook; will not update specific rows/cells/columns in an existing workbook; will not update or add cells to an Excel template (.xlt) file. Every time ExcelXP runs it creates a new file, by overwriting the name specified in the FILE= option if it already exists or by creating a new file, if the name does not exist.

This is the kind of scenario (writing to an existing workbook or Excel template) that folks use DDE for.

You might try to replicate your header information using the TAGSETS.EXCELXP options to set PRINT headers and footers.

cynthia
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hi cynthia, thanks for suggestion, please watch the thread "Exploring tagsets.excelxp for existing templates " .
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
ODS HTML and simplified pagination control

Today, I am forced to use a "hidden" BY variable to force pagination every "nn" detail output rows. This requires me to use PAGEBY and also NOBYLINE along with my BY statement declaration. Also, influencing the SAS ODS HTML behavior requires a pre-processor DATA step used to "count rows" and force a new (virtual) page which is actually a new HTML-generated table to get the desired HTML windowing size needed.

I have attempted to use the PROC TEMPLATE "hack" to get the "freeze column header" for the most simplistic PROC PRINT instances, but this alternative approach seems to fail if you attempt to use BY/PAGEBY processing with the TEMPLATE override.

And, this type of functionality needs to work on the IBM mainframe platform as well as others, if that is anyone else's concern, as it is for me.

Thanks for asking, Cynthia!!

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
fix tagsets.excelxp for non-US locale where NLS support on z/OS introduces problems for prx---- functions used to identify data-types

Alternatively, could suitable compiled versions of latest tagset.excelxp be made available for download to ebcdic-in-foreign-locales.
Alternatively, bypass the need for prx--- in the tagset code by providing the data-types as object attribute when the reporting objects are created.

- - my experience was in z/OS on SAS9.1.3sp4 -
- - has the SAS9.2 versions eliminated the need for characters among the "extended" ebcdic character-set?

PeterC
wildhogs
Calcite | Level 5
Create a Super ODS destination for Microsoft Excel, Word, and/or Powerpoint.

Functionality

1. create a worksheet X for a lot of good stuff !!!!

1a. create a chart object 1 and place in location 1 on worksheet x.
1b. create a chart object 2 and place in location 2 on worksheet x.
1c. create a chart object 3 and place in location 3 on worksheet x.
1d. create a text box object 1 and place in location 4 on worksheet x.

etc...

2a. send sas report 1 to location 5 on worksheet x.
2b. send sas report 2 to location 6 on worksheet x.
2c. send sas report 3 to location 7 on worksheet x.
etc...

3a. create pivot table 1 and place it in location 8 on worksheet x.
3b. create pivot table 2 and place it in location 9 on worksheet x.
3c. create pivot table 3 and place it in location 10 on worksheet x.
etc...

Allow the destination to be called multiple times for each report, pivot table, or chart that you want to send to Excel, Word, or Powerpoint.

Wow!
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20
>A general thing: make all ODS destinations use the exact same syntax to achieve the same results.

Seconded, destinations should absolutely be transparent [same for graphics devices, but that's another story] unless some features don't exist for a particular destination, in which case they would simply be ignored.

Even more important though: an easier way to alter default looks than proc template. Or is it just me who haven't felt like spending the time to get my head around its hideous syntax?
Maybe a report editor where one makes visual changes, and the template code is created?
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
There should be a graphic report painter tool instead of the crazy coding crap. It's 2019.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
ODS Graphics Designer is a data driven graphic report tool to generate multi-cell graphs.
cynthia
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Kicks out errors.

ERROR: Write access to member SASUSER.LIBREFS.DATA is denied.
ERROR: Java class generated an exception.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I would recommend opening a track with Tech Support. I have not experienced that error message when using ODS Graphics Designer.
Cynthia
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Is it supposed to run in EG? Nothing listed in the tools tab.
DWilson
Pyrite | Level 9

@Cynthia_sas wrote:
Hi:
ODS Graphics Designer is a data driven graphic report tool to generate multi-cell graphs.
cynthia

ODS Graphics Designer is only available if you have SAS installed locally. For people using SAS EG with SAS installed on a remote server this doesn't work. (at least according to this page:

http://support.sas.com/kb/42/addl/fusion_42604_1_odsgraphicsdesignerwithsaseg43.pdf

)

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I believe that note applied to EG 4.3.

The current version of EG is 7.15. This site, implies that you CAN download and install the ODS Graphics Designer to use with EG: https://support.sas.com/downloads/package.htm?pid=2291 -- you might want to verify with Tech Support.

Cynthia

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
ah...the 2 legged stool again.
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Be able to import an existing Excel file and use it as a template.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats