BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
afiehrer
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I have a question regarding the summarize function in proc report.

I have a table with 3 columns containing numbers and 2 columns containing percentages.

I am wondering if there is any way to get a single row at the bottom of this table with the sum of the number columns and the combined rate of the percentage columns.

I can use BREAK AFTER / SUMMARIZE to get the sums of the number columns, but have not found a way to include the combined rate of the percentages. Is this possible?

Here is my code:

PROC REPORT DATA=SAMPLE_DATA ;
    COLUMNS COMPANY STATE YEAR LOB NUMBER1 PERCENT1 NUMBER2 PERCENT2 NUMBER3 NUMBER4;
    DEFINE COMPANY / ORDER NOPRINT;
    DEFINE STATE / ORDER NOPRINT;
    DEFINE YEAR / 'Year' ORDER format=YEAR4.;
    DEFINE NUMBER1 / FORMAT=DOLLAR15.;
    DEFINE NUMBER2 / FORMAT=DOLLAR15.;
    DEFINE NUMBER3 / FORMAT=DOLLAR15.;
    DEFINE NUMBER4 / FORMAT=DOLLAR15.;
    DEFINE PERCENT1 / FORMAT=PERCENT10.1;
    DEFINE PERCENT2 / FORMAT=PERCENT10.1;
COMPUTE BEFORE _PAGE_ / LEFT;
    LINE COMPANY $CMPYFMT.;
    LINE STATE $STFMT.;
    LINE '  ';
ENDCOMP;
    BREAK AFTER STATE / PAGE SKIP;
    BREAK AFTER YEAR / SUMMARIZE style={font_weight=bold
                cellheight=.25in vjust=b};
RUN;

So I am looking for a summary of each year, essentially the sum of the numbers and combined rate of percents from all LOB in each year, state, company.

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Personally, I always do all my calculations in the datasteps before the report procedure.  You can use nice puctions like proc means, summary, freq etc. to do these means, and keep the report code simple.  

afiehrer
Calcite | Level 5

This is what I figured I might need to do, I just wanted to see if there was any way to get there in the report. Thanks for the response!

ballardw
Super User

Unless your denominators are the exact same size for all your data, the mean of a percentage (or any type of rate defined with a division) is likely to be a very misleading data element to look at.

Example:

Salesman A contacts one customer in a month and makes one sale, so his sales rate is 100%.

Salesman B contacts 2000 customers in a month and makes 1000 sales of the same amount for a sales rate of 50%.

What would an average sales rate of 75% ( 100+50)/2 actually tell you?

A combine rate of (1 + 1000) / (1 +2000), which is what proc report will generally do probably tells you a lot more about what is going on with your sales staff.

afiehrer
Calcite | Level 5

You are correct. I want a combined rate in the summary row of the table instead of a mean. That was my mistake.

Is there any way to get this combined rate of the percentages to appear in the same row as the sums of my number columns (ie a "total" row)?

ballardw
Super User

You should post the Proc Report code you are using. Without knowing how you are creating your current values it might be a tad difficult to guess how to calculate what you need.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation