BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wkossack_nspirehealth_com
Calcite | Level 5

I was told to develop something using objects in SAS.

After doing some looking I'm not sure that can be done in Base SAS and that I'll need AF or something similar

is this correct?

Or can someone point me to an example in Base SAS.

5 REPLIES 5
WWW_BIGINFOANALYSIS_COM
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I think you are correct. SAS/AF is a tool that can be used with the help of SCL (SAS Component Langugage) for building point and click, drag and drop applications. Where as Base SAS is for more of building data warehouse and for analysis. It helps you write complex programs, however visual display is limited to the SAS Capabilities. In contrast SAS/AF helps you achieve the visual interface as you intend to provide to the user.

If you could share your requirement in detail, it would help www.biginfoanalysis.com to review and shed some more light.

Thanks.

www.biginfoanalysis.com

Reeza
Super User

What are you calling an "object"?

A hash table can be considered an object.

You can also use Java objects.

Base SAS: The Java Object and the DATA Step Component Interface

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Agree with Reeza,  Use the hash-objects (java)  or the DS2-language. 
SAS(R) 9.4 DS2 Language Reference, Second Edition. DS-2 has some of the same fundamentals as SCL

Why not AF (SCL)  as it is Component language but was first Screen Control language. This is of the 1990's and SAS is not putting much effort in it.

Hash objects is getting into "in memory" with NO-Sql rather hyping but already some years old.

DS2 is very new, most people are not having that. You See some matrix and the hyping "package" buzzword being used. 

The word "object" is as unclear defined as module data-element being used for catalog-object metadata-object.

Object-oriented programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---->-- ja karman --<-----
wkossack_nspirehealth_com
Calcite | Level 5

OK, thanks.  That is what I thought.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

If you tell us what "something" is , we might point to the appropriate tool/method to solving the requirement.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation