BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

What is the MAXIMUM LRECL that ODS RTF will use when it writes to the file?

Other than "measuring" is there a way to determine the LRECL of a RTF file.

My limited testing shows that assigning a FILEREF with LRECL and using ODS FILE=fileref ...; LRECL is ignored.  My test may be flawed.

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

I don't believe LRECL has any effect on any of the ODS printer or markup destinations. Line display size is handled by the RTF specification and considers fontsize and destination width (page dimension) and margin settings as far as I can tell.

The ODS tagsets.rtf gives a little more control for appearance but may not suit your specific need.

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I'm talking about the FILE.  Not the printed output or how it looks when opened in WORD.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I believe that the FILE= option for ODS RTF writes to the operating system based on the OS settings. In the FILENAME doc, SAS(R) 9.4 Statements: Reference, Fourth Edition it says that LRECL is based on the RECFM:

Options 

RECFM=record-format

specifies the record format of the external file. 

InteractionIn SAS 9.4, the default value for the global LRECL system option is 32767. If you are using fixed-length records (RECFM=F), the default value for LRECL is 256. 
Operating environmentValues for record-format are dependent on the operating environment. For more information, see the SAS documentation for your operating environment. 

Operating Environment Options 

Operating environment options specify details, such as file attributes and processing attributes, that are specific to your operating environment. 

Operating Environment Information: For a list of valid specifications, see the SAS documentation for your operating environment.

So this may be a question to ask of Tech Support. On page 2 of this document: http://support.sas.com/rnd/base/ods/templateFAQ/MVSODS3.pdf it explains that

"The recommended DCB information for creating files on Z/OS is RECFM=VB, LRECL=8196 and BLKSIZE=27998 for non-PDF files." (page 2). Of course, that is specific to Z/OS, so Tech Support would be your best bet if you are not asking about Z/OS or you want to find out whether those limits still apply.

cynthia

Ksharp
Super User

If I was right, RTF is just a stream file , it doesn't have LRECL , just one row .

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I suppose it could be but SAS ODS RTF writes RECFM=V records.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation