BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RH_JTE
Calcite | Level 5

Hi.  Has anyone successfully identified a way to output multi-tab reports that are readable by *Mac* Excel 2010?  The output we currently generate using the ExcelXP tagset works great for PC Excel but fails on the Mac.  Our end users are switching to Macs and I'm looking for an alternative to having them access a shared windows server just to open reports.

JT

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

Can you convert the files to native Excel files first?

Here's the code sample from SAS that does it.

http://support.sas.com/kb/43/496.html

RH_JTE
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the idea.  I took a look through the code and example.  It appears that the VBS script generated simply automates the process of opening the files in Excel and saving them back out.  Since this involves opening the XML files in Excel, it seems that this might work from a PC but not from a Mac, so I'm seemingly back still stuck at square one.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

very odd...that implies that Office on the Mac doesn't read/render the Spreadsheet ML designed for Office 2003. That seems strange. I wonder whether Microsoft has published a plug-in??? I'd recommend that you check with Tech Support or Google on Office 2003 plug-in for the MAC.

cynthia

RH_JTE
Calcite | Level 5

SAS Tech Support indicated they're aware the ExcelXP tagset creates files that Mac Excel 2010 can't read.  Unfortunately they didn't have any fixes or suggestions for getting around it.  I was thinking perhaps someone else had encounted this and found a creative solution.  For now I'll try Googling for an Office plug-in or patch as you recommended.  Thanks.

Reeza
Super User

Do you mean Office for Mac 201? I thought there was a 2008 and a 2011 version of office for mac, not a 2010 one.

Or is there something else that you're doing to get office 2010 on the macs?

RH_JTE
Calcite | Level 5

Apologies, you are correct.  It's the 2011 version.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

I just found this, but am not is a position to try it. It does not explicitly say that it deals with Office 2003 format of XML:

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-Open-XML-Converter/3000-18483_4-146736.html

cynthia

RH_JTE
Calcite | Level 5

I just tried installing.  Unfortunately it shows errors when trying to access the files, claiming they're not in a valid format.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation