BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
brittneykp
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to load an Excel workbook with some data for a coworker who is not a SAS Programmer so she can play with it in some Pivot Tables and charts.

I'm using ODS Excel to output the data, because the underlying data has like 30 variables that are coded from a survey and must have formats applied to them to understand them.  I've used the OPTIONS MISSING="" to change the numeric missing period to a null, because Excel won't read a period as numeric data.

When I try to import the resulting spreadsheet into PowerPivot, Excel still won't interpret any numeric variable with missing values as numeric.  The error says that there is some unknown data in the missing cells that it identifies as character.

Anyone have any ideas on if there is something I can do with the SAS output to ensure the the resulting Excel cells are null?  I don't really want to have to use Proc Export because it will take a lot of time to try to recode all the variables.

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

@brittneykp wrote:

I am trying to load an Excel workbook with some data for a coworker who is not a SAS Programmer so she can play with it in some Pivot Tables and charts.

I'm using ODS Excel to output the data, because the underlying data has like 30 variables that are coded from a survey and must have formats applied to them to understand them.  I've used the OPTIONS MISSING="" to change the numeric missing period to a null, because Excel won't read a period as numeric data.

When I try to import the resulting spreadsheet into PowerPivot, Excel still won't interpret any numeric variable with missing values as numeric.  The error says that there is some unknown data in the missing cells that it identifies as character.

Anyone have any ideas on if there is something I can do with the SAS output to ensure the the resulting Excel cells are null?  I don't really want to have to use Proc Export because it will take a lot of time to try to recode all the variables.

It will help to show the exact code you used to export the data to excel since there are multiple possible ways.

If possible it would help to provide some example data in the form of a data step that shows the behavior you are talking about when exported using the same method. Likely you would only need 3 or 4 variables and 3 or 4 rows.

brittneykp
Obsidian | Level 7

Here is the code I ran:

ods excel file="\\CDSS6PSAS1\ffpb\Reports\Child Trends Final Data Set\Child Trends Data &sysdate. Priority 1.xlsx"
options(sheet_name="data");

options missing="";

PROC PRINT DATA=MATCHED;
ID ch_id ch_subsidy child_weight;
run;

ods excel close;

Here are the first 10 rows of data.  I would like the blank cells in "Child Weight" to truly be null.  Currently, they have some invisible character in them that Excel reads as character, preventing me from using it as a numeric measure in Excel.

ch_id ch_subsidy child_weight prov_type
      Family-Based
Care
      Family-Based
Care
      License-Exempt
Family Care
      Family-Based
Care
      Center-based
care
0 C1AP .13 License-Exempt
Family Care
1 C1AP 28.05 Family-Based
Care
1 C2AP 303.28 License-Exempt
Family Care
1 CSPP 24.29 Center-based
care
10 CCTR 82.01 Center-based
care
ballardw
Super User

The example data needs to be in the form of a data step. I cannot tell from your example whether the Ch_id or child_weight variables are character or not. I am actually only moderately certain that ch_subsidy is character.

Instructions here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-create-a-data-step-version-of-your-dat... will show how to turn an existing SAS data set into data step code that can be pasted into a forum code box using the {i} icon or attached as text to show exactly what you have and that we can test code against.

brittneykp
Obsidian | Level 7

Here is the description of variables.  I did not create them, they were given to me, so I don't have a data step to display.

The variable of importance in this question is CHILD_WEIGHT, as it is the blank characters created in the ODS Excel output that are preventing Excel from reading it as numeric.

Alphabetic List of Variables and Attributes
# Variable Type Len Format Informat Label
2 ch_id Char 9 $9. $9. Child ID
4 ch_subsidy Char 4 $4. $4. ch_subsidy
3 child_weight Num 8      
1 prov_type Num 3 PROV_TYPE.   Provider type

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation