BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rlafond
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I'm using ODS Excel to output a data table and I've noticed that the output is being altered from the original by eliminating spaces.

Code:

ods excel file="\\hne_crms\hsra\RLafond\Quality\QIP\test3\&NAME._&LOB._QIP_Roster_&reportdate..xlsx";

ods excel options(sheet_name="&Name Roster &Month &Year");

PROC PRINT DATA = &NAME._&LOB._STEP2 NOOBS;
RUN;

ODS excel close;

Examples:

Source: VBC Group B

Output: VBC GroupB

Source: Adult BMI Assessment

Output: Adult BMIAssessment

Source: Appropriate Testing for Children with Pharyngitis

Output: Appropriate Testingfor Children withPharyngitis

It looks almost like some sort of formatting being done to replicate wrapping in Excel. Any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it? I've included an image showing what it looks like in Excel:

Capture.GIF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
Pretty sure you have a line return in there, which is recognized in an Excel cell, but will not be recognized in a tab name. I'm also fairly certain that this can't be done in a tab name manually either. You can however, replace the line return with a space instead and that will cause it to have the space correctly.

I think the character is "0A"x and you want to replace that with a single space instead. You can try using TRANWRD for that.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ballardw
Super User

You should include the code used to create the output including the ODS Excel statement to show options.

Since many procedures can provide output we kind of need to know which specific procedure and options were involved.

Also, you need to know that the message windows on this forum will also reformat text. So you need to be very careful what is posted.

Actual plain text such as code, log and raw data are best posted into code boxes opened with either the forums {I} or "running man" icons to prevent such reformatting as leading space removal, multiple space compression and some HTML code insertion/replacements.

rlafond
Obsidian | Level 7

Updated original post with relevant code.

Reeza
Super User
Pretty sure you have a line return in there, which is recognized in an Excel cell, but will not be recognized in a tab name. I'm also fairly certain that this can't be done in a tab name manually either. You can however, replace the line return with a space instead and that will cause it to have the space correctly.

I think the character is "0A"x and you want to replace that with a single space instead. You can try using TRANWRD for that.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I find that if I make the cell wide enough that ODS EXCEL doesn't automatically wrap the line:

long_string_excel_wide_enough.png

I believe the number of columns you have can also impact the wrapping behavior. But adjusting width is a place to start.

Cynthia

rlafond
Obsidian | Level 7

So I ended up researching line returns and found that using the ODS Excel option

flow = 'tables'

Fixed the return issue.

Thanks for the direction! 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation